Wooden spoons are a must-have in every kitchen. Wood is the best material for cooking utensils because it is environmentally friendly and does not conduct heat. So, you won’t burn your fingers when stirring hot food.
Different woods have different properties that make them better suited for specific tasks. The best wood for cooking spoons should be durable and have natural antimicrobial properties to avoid food contamination.
This article will explore different types of wood commonly used for cooking spoons. Let’s delve in.
What is the Best Wood for Cooking Spoons?
Hardwoods such as olive wood, soft maple, black walnut, cherry, and pecan are the best woods for making cooking utensils. They are thick and resistant to breakage. Other woods, such as bamboo and maple, are ideal for wooden spoons.
Types of Wood Suitable for Cooking Spoons
An excellent wooden spoon is like having the elusive magic wand in your kitchen, as it will not scratch your expensive pots or leak chemicals. Here are a couple of popular woods suitable for making cooking utensils.
1. Olive Wood
- Eddington’s Olive Wood Cooking Spoon for stirring, mixing, dividing, tasting, turning, and serving foods
- Made in Europe from fine Italian Olivewood; lightweight yet strong; measures 12-inches
- Beautifully handcrafted, decorative, and durable; fits neatly in a kitchen gadget drawer or display on the counter in a utensil holder
- This olive wood is carefully sourced from selected groves mainly in the south of Italy; harvested when olive production ceases or from pruned branches
- Will not scratch surfaces; safe for use on nonstick cookware; hand wash only; occasionally coat with mineral oil to keep olive wood looking its best
Olive wood is one of the gorgeous woods you can have in your kitchen. It has a stunning pattern and gives your kitchen a vintage look. Olive wood is smooth and does not have a grainy texture like other woods.
Not only that, but it has a neutral flavor and is the most popular choice for a butter spreader. Although olives are famous for their flavor, oil, and nutritional value, wood is also highly sought after.
It is lovely, smooth, and tough, and its beauty improves with age. The wood is solid and long-lasting. It also contains natural oil that moisturizes itself.
So, you won’t have to oil it as frequently. The only downside to olive wood is that it cracks easily since it’s hard. So, manufacturers use wood glue to fix the cracks, and you won’t know unless you have a keen eye for details.
2. Soft Maple
- Includes spoons of 10, 12, and 14 inches in length
- Constructed of beautiful, sturdy maple that will last a long time
- Three convenients sizes are great for a wide variety of uses
- Solid one piece construction is built to last
- As with all wooden spoons, handwashing is recommended to preserve the natural beauty of the wood
Maple is an excellent wood for making wooden spoons and kitchen utensils because it won’t leach out harmful chemicals. The wood has a straight grain and is very thick, so it can withstand wear and tear in a busy kitchen.
It has a beautiful, light color and a smooth texture. The soft maple tree is native to North America and grows best in the eastern parts of Canada.
The bark has a brownish-red color which gradually changes to light gray or white as it ages. It has been used for cooking spoons for centuries because it does not impart any taste to the food.
Soft maple is an excellent choice for cooking spoons because it’s moisture resistant. The wood is also easy to carve and shape. Since it’s not too hard, the spoon will not scratch your expensive pots and pans.
3. Black Walnut
- 【Nonstick Kitchen Utensil Set】With natural oil finish, high temperature resistance, corrosion resistance and durable, which means it won’t scratch pots or pans, very suitable for non-stick cookware.
- 【Perfect Sizes & Shapes】The length of this long wooden mixing spoon is 13.6 inch, easy to grip, which can effectively prevent hot hands, elegant and durable design, better than others. Slotted wooden spoon make preparing fudge, sauces, salads and tasting soups easier.
- 【Natural Premium Walnut】This long salad serving spoon is made from a whole piece of natural black walnut wood, solid and well made. Each spoon has its own natural texture which is unique. Non-toxic, safe for cooking.
- 【Easy to Clean】Slotted and corner spatulas with holes are easy to hang and store, convenient to store, save space, and makes your kitchen neatly. The surface of this wooden spoon and spatula set is smooth, can be simply washed with warm soap and water and wiped clean.
- 【Wide Uses】Suitable for stirring, mixing, dividing, tasting, turning, and serving foods for restaurants, family kitchens. This wooden cooking utensils set will be a great gift for mom, dad or any cook.
When you use black walnut wood for furniture, kitchenware, or flooring in your residence, it has a powerful presence. It sets the tone, regardless of how prominent or minor a detail is.
Black walnut’s strength, undeniable beauty, and flexibility make it an excellent choice for designer pieces you can pass down from one generation to the other.
In terms of care and maintenance, walnut wood is simple to care for and will not give in to scratches, scuffs, and other damage as quickly as other wood types.
- ECO FRIENDLY MISSION: Reusable bamboo utensils replace single use plastic utensils for the environmentally conscious and bamboo is a highly sustainable material; To Go Ware practices ethical manufacturing and zero waste operations.
- DURABLE MATERIAL: Made from durable material, To Go Ware bamboo utensils are also heat and stain-resistant; These bamboo utensils are safe to use on non-stick surfaces and won't absorb flavors
- WASHABLE: To Go Ware products are hand-finished with a food-safe coating, and dishwasher safe; To Go Ware utensil sets are a long-lasting alternative to disposable silverware
- EARTH DAY: Be a part of the change and align yourself with Mother Earth by using To Go Ware reusable utensils; Help to protect the environment with more eco friendly choices; Earth Day is a great time to start fighting for a green future!
- SAFE FOR YOUR FAMILY: To Go Ware reusable bamboo utensils are BPA free and phthalate free; Feel good knowing the products used in your household are free of chemicals
Bamboo is an excellent wood for making a wooden utensil for kitchen use. It is an eco-friendly option. This means that it contains no harmful ingredients that could get into your food.
It is heat-resistant and has superb antimicrobial properties, meaning it resists bacteria, viruses, or fungi growth. So, you never risk food contamination when preparing food using a bamboo spoon.
Also, it is smooth and will not scratch your pots and pans. It is also lightweight and highly durable. Bamboo is a fantastic organic solution you can afford without breaking your bank.
Though bamboo wooden utensils are durable, they scratch effortlessly. You’ve got to be gentle with them.
5. Pecan Wood
- 【HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS】 Our CAILOS wooden spoon for cooking is made of Kemu, with a smooth surface, no burrs, strong and durable, lightweight but strong, and can be used for a long time. Will not scratch the surface and can be used safely on non-stick cookware.
- 【LONG-HANDLED WOODEN SPOONS】 Each wooden spoon is about 42 cm/16.5 inches long, 6.8 cm/2.7 inches in diameter, and has a long handle. The handle will not be hot when mixing and taking out heated food, which can effectively prevent hands from being burned.
- 【CONVENIENT STORAGE】 Spoons with holes are easy to hang and store, and can be neatly placed in the kitchen gadget drawer or displayed on the counter on the cutlery rack
- 【WIDE RANGE OF USES】 This giant wood spoon can be used for stirring, cooking, mixing, dividing, tasting, flipping salads, seasonings, sauces and soups, suitable for restaurants, family kitchens, restaurants, hotels, parent-child outdoor activities and other occasions
- 【GREAT GIFT】 You or someone near you likes to cook and give gifts. This will be the reason for cooking and gathering with your loved ones! Our unique kitchen cookware is the perfect and most affordable gift you can share with your loved ones on any occasion, hey, we all love eating!
Pecan wooden spoons make an excellent addition to every kitchen. They’re strong, long-lasting, and simple to clean. Use a pecan wood spoon for deglazing pots or stirring soups and sauces.
You can also use it to mix various ingredients, scrape the sides of a pan, and toss your ingredients in a pan. The pecan tree is a member of the hickory family.
It is ideal for long barbecues because it burns slowly and imparts a unique taste to meats. Pecan wood has a flavor that is similar to hickory but less powerful. Pecan wood is an excellent all-purpose cooking wood.
6. Beech Wood
- French Beechwood Spoon for stirring, mixing, dividing, tasting, turning and serving foods
- Made in France from solid beechwood; sturdy and durable; will not scratch delicate surfaces; strong and sturdy
- Lightweight yet strong; longer handle easily reaches to the bottom of deeper pots and pans
- Safe for use on metal and nonstick cookware; safe for everyone to use, even budding young chefs just learning to cook
- Hand wash only; occasionally coat with mineral oil to keep wood looking its best
Solid beechwood spoons are a favorite among chefs and cooks. They are not only beautiful to look at but also practical for cooking.
The best wood for cooking spoons is beech because it has a high resistance to heat, does not react with acidic foods, and is durable. Beechwood is a hardwood that is suitable for cooking utensils.
It is durable and has a high heat tolerance. Beechwood spoons are solid, can be used for stir-frying, and can withstand high temperatures without warping or cracking.
Although beech wood is perfect for kitchen utensils, it can be a pain to curve if you’ve no experience.
- WOODEN TURNERS WITH HIGH QUALITY: 100% pure wooden cooking utensils set with strong handle, perfectly sanded, smooth, lightweight, strong, and not coated. Wood kitchen utensils won't get warm and melt like silicone utensils or crack like bamboo spoons or bamboo spatula
- WOODEN UTENSIL SET SAFETY: Our wood cooking utensils are carved from a single piece of wood and are not made of laminated pieces, free of harmful paints, coatings, lacquers, glues, or petrochemicals of any kind
- MULTIPURPOSE OF WOOD COOKING UTENSIL SET: This wood cooking utensil set includes different spatulas and spoons to meet all your kitchen needs: great for serving, flipping eggs, stirfrying, fish, pancakes, and outdoor use. The suspension holes design makes it easier to store
- EASY TO USE: Wooden spatula and spoons for nonstick cookware are lightweight and stylish, they not only decorate your kitchen but also cooking won't any longer heavy labor, you can easily enjoy the cooking process
- NON-SCRATCH: Wooden spoon sets for cooking are harmless to use in any cookware. The non-scratch wooden spatulas are not going to leave any scratch on your pan or wok
Ash wood is another hardwood suitable for cooking utensils. It has a high density and is durable. It also has a low moisture content, making it resistant to warping and cracking.
Ash wood is excellent for a cutting board because it does not dull knives as quickly as other woods. This means you can use your knives longer before sharpening them again.
The wood carves easily, so it’s possible to make spatulas with a flat edge or rounded corners.
Cherry wood is an excellent choice for cooking utensils because it is durable and has a beautiful color. It is also easy to work with, so carve it effortlessly to the deep head or angled corner if you like it that way.
Cherry has a great, smooth feel to it when handled. It also offers a high level of quality that cannot be overlooked.
Using a cherry spoon to stir your food won’t damage your pots and pans. Cherry wooden cooking spoons are very hygienic because they’re not glued.
How to Pick the Ideal Wooden Spoon
Wood is a natural material that has been used for centuries to make cooking utensils. It is a renewable resource, and it is also easy to work with.
Here’s what to consider when you are buying cooking spoons.
The first thing you should look at is the material. Most of us get carried away with the design and appearance of a spoon without checking the material it’s made of. But this is the main factor determining how long the spoon will last.
The size of the bowl, handle, and length of the spoon
Other factors include the handle, the spoon’s length, and the bowl’s size. The handle should be sturdy enough to withstand heat and regular washing.
The length of the spoon should be such that it can reach the bottom of a bowl thoroughly. The bowl size should be reasonable so that it can hold enough food if you use it for serving.
You get what you pay for most of the time. It’s advisable to buy quality wooden spoons because they’re durable and easy to maintain. I bet you don’t want to use a cooking spoon that will be scraping your pots as it is infuriating.
Inspect a wooden spoon keenly before investing to ensure that the price matches your desired quality. Never sacrifice quality for the price.
Are the wooden spoons food safe?
Most people prefer wooden spoons as they do not scratch cookware. Regardless of the pot or pan you’re using; wooden spoons are safe to use without the risk of abrasions or other blemishes, extending the life of your cookware.
Using wooden spoons will not affect your recipe. You’re right if you once prepared a recipe with a metal spoon and felt the food tasted differently than other foods afterward.
Some materials can react with acidic foods, causing the flavor of your recipe to change. Wooden spoons won’t alter the taste of your food or absorb its flavor.
Wooden spoons can withstand high temperatures. They will not melt in high temperatures or get hot, as stainless steel cutlery does, so you won’t have to worry about burning your hands.
They’re also strong enough to be used in almost any recipe without breaking. They’re also tough for stirring thick stews or scraping tough-to-clean bits off the bottom of your pot while remaining comfortable in your hands.
Tips for Maintaining Wooden Spoons
- Use warm soapy water to clean wooden spoons immediately after using them.
- Wooden utensils are not dishwasher friendly. Hand wash them and let them air dry.
- After washing, dry your wooden utensils with a clean towel to remove excess water. This will prevent the wood from cracking as a result of moisture.
- Use lemon juice or baking soda to neutralize odors.
- Use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the utensils as needed.
- Use mineral oil to treat a wooden spoon as It’s natural for the utensils to appear a little dry.
- Remove any dirt built up with vinegar.
What is the best wood for spoon carving?
Hardwoods are great for spoon carving. The smoother the grain and the fewer open pores, the better. Start practicing with white pine or Himalayan birch, but understand that a hardwood spoon will last longer in the kitchen. For your first hardwood spoon, opt for a hardwood you can efficiently work with, such as cherry, soft maple, or black walnut.
Here are some other best woods for carving.
Why do chefs use wooden cooking spoons?
A wooden spoon has a firm, sturdy handle that makes stirring effortless and more effective—without the risk of the handle breaking. It also serves as a firm scraping tool for the sides and bottom of a pan. Also, it does not get hot when exposed to high temperatures. So, no need to worry about burning your hands.
What types of wooden spoons are the best?
Wooden spoons carved from fruit-bearing trees such as cherry, bamboo, maple, etc., are the best for cooking. They’re eco-friendly, sturdy, and ideal for deglazing pots, stirring thick soups without breaking. They won’t scratch your pans, are durable, and won’t get extremely hot when exposed to high temperatures.
What is the best wood for kitchen utensils?
Hardwoods. Hardwoods are the most common material used to make cooking spoons because they are thick and resistant to heat and breakage.
You can make great wooden spoons from olive wood, soft maple, Beech, Ashwood, walnut, bamboo, pecan wood, and cherry. These woods are suitable for kitchen utensils as they keep bacteria and other germs out of your food.
The best wood for kitchen utensils is about safety, durability, and effectiveness. It’s not about style or preferences because safety and efficacy should come first.
Hardwood kitchen spoons are easy to clean and maintain without losing their original color.
The best wood for cooking spoons is cherry, maple, olive wood, ash wood, beech, bamboo, walnut, etc. These woods will not leach out harmful chemicals that could contaminate your food.
Wooden cooking spoons are the go-to option for chefs and those who enjoy cooking. They are strong, durable, environmentally friendly, and do not alter the taste of your yummy food.
Read here to learn more about other wood ood carving projects and ideas you carry out at home.