Is chalk paint waterproof? If you plan to paint your walls and outdoor furniture with chalk paint, you may wonder how well it will hold up against moisture. Will it bead up and run off the wall, or will it be able to repel drops of water? Chalk paint can resist water, but it is not waterproof.
It won’t wash off walls and other vertical surfaces when it rains. So it will stay longer where you put it. However, if you want to use chalk paint to paint outdoor cushions and outdoor surfaces, you must seal the paint because it can not withstand standing water.
We’re professional woodworkers who use chalk paints daily in water-resistant projects. We’ll tell you essential facts you need to know about chalk paints.
Difference Between Waterproof and Water resistant
Ann Sloan, the first manufacturer of chalk paint, markets it as an outdoor paint for an outdoor bench.
There is a difference between waterproof and water resistant. If an object is waterproof, it means that water can not damage it no matter how long it is exposed.
A water-resistant object can withstand water only to an extent. For example, your device ( phone) can still function after a rain shower, but it will not work anymore if you immerse it in the water.
Is Chalk Paint Waterproof?
No, chalk paint is not waterproof. It would help if you did not use it on surfaces in continual contact with water unless you seal it. However, all is not lost, though. Chalk paint is water resistant. It can tolerate a small splash or spill of water on surfaces.
What Is Chalk Paint?
Chalk Paint is a water-based paint a British artist (Annie Sloan) invented. It is manufactured from a mixture of talc, acrylic, water, glycol, ester, titanium dioxide, carbon black, silica and opacifiers.
It is famous for its matte finish and the ease with which you can apply it. It does not require any primer. It is also available in various colors, making it perfect for home decor projects. The unique texture and matte finish give it a vintage look and feel, making it an excellent choice for injecting life into an old piece of furniture.
Advantages of Chalk Paint
Why is chalk paint so popular nowadays? It may appear that using chalk paint makes no sense because it’s not waterproof. Right? After learning its advantages, you’ll have a change of heart; It has some benefits we can’t ignore. Here are some of them.
- You could use it without the extra cost of a primer.
- You may not need to spend time sanding off the previous paint before you start painting
- It dries in record time, so you finish your project quickly and move on to something else
- You could thin it and use it in a sprayer.
- Cleaning up after use is a breeze using a damp cloth
- It is sticky, so it drips less
- You can use it to protect wood, metal furniture, wooden furniture, and other surfaces.
Types of Chalk Paint
There are two types of chalk paints
- Chalk Spray Paint
- Acrylic chalk paint
Chalk Spray Paint
If you want your masterpiece to dry faster, this is your choice. Also, it’s ideal for painting crevices that an ordinary brush or a roller cannot reach.
Spray chalk paint is suitable for smaller pieces requiring a super smooth and sturdy finish. Use it on parts with intricate details that may be tricky to paint with a regular brush.
Chalk spray paint may not be a superb option to refinish a huge dresser. You’ll have to buy many small cans, which will cost you more.
Acrylic Chalk Paint
If you need chalk paint for indoor use, you could use this one. It is suitable for bigger surfaces because it comes in bigger cans. It is not runny like spray chalk paint, has excellent adhesion, and leaves no residue. However, You may have to lightly sand very slick surfaces to allow the paint to adhere.
How to make Chalk Paint Waterproof
Although chalk paint resists water, it is not waterproof. The good news is that you can make it waterproof. Waterproofing your chalk paint is important to ensure that it stands up to water and regular wear and tear. Here’s how to waterproof chalk paint.
If you want to ensure your chalk paint is waterproof, apply a polyurethane sealer coat. This sealant provides an extra layer of protection, ensuring the paint won’t chip, crack, or fade. Before applying the sealer, ensure the paint has completely dried and removed any excess dust.
Additionally, it’s essential to use the correct type of sealer. Wait for the first coat to dry before applying the second coat. Two coats may be all you need to get a professional finish.
Opt for a water-based polyurethane for best results. You’ll have a long-lasting, waterproof piece of furniture. Poly is durable, cost-effective, and watertight. However, getting a smooth finish can be tricky, and it could become yellow over time.
The other method of waterproofing chalk paint uses a clear wax finish. It adds a beautiful glossy finish to the chalk paint while protecting it from water damage. Apply multiple thin layers instead of one thick layer.
You can also use special chalk paint wax for better protection and an even nicer finish.
It is a clear finish you can apply to chalk paint to make it waterproof. Lightly sand the surface with fine-grit sandpaper and apply several thin coats of lacquer with a brush or roller. Wait a few hours in between each coat.
Ensure the lacquer you use is designed for exterior use, as this will make it even more waterproof. For the best results, apply the color on an overcast day or evening when temperatures are cooler.
If you’re using lacquer indoors, ensure good air circulation so the fumes don’t get too concentrated. You could also use varnish to seal chalk paint.
Difference Between Standard Paint and Chalkboard Paint
|Chalk paint||Latex (water-based) paint|
|Cost||More expensive, but you use less paint||It is more affordable. Still, you use a lot of paint|
|Expected results||Because chalkboard paint is matte, it complements a vintage or distressed look better than latex paint.||is Ideal for a shiny modern classic look|
|Effort||It adheres to almost all surfaces without the need for a primer.||You must apply a primer to adhere excellently|
The Best Waterproof Paints You Could Use
Yes, you can waterproof chalk paint to prolong its life. But if you do not want to go through the hassle of waterproofing chalk paint, you can buy ready-made paint. Here are a couple of options you could consider.
1. Best Overall – Liquid Rubber Indoor & Outdoor Waterproof Coating
- PROTECTIVE FINISH FOR - Foundations, ICF's, Basements, Shower Liners, Deck and Fence Posts, Planter Boxes, Metal, Wood, Concrete and more
- HIGHLY FLEXIBLE - Sealant final membrane has over 900% elongation in the sealing material preventing adhesion failure causing cracks and taring. Flat/Ponding Surface: 50 sq ft/G per coat
- EASY TO APPLY - No mixing required! Apply by brush, roller or high quality piston paint sprayer. Container can be closed and left over material used later. No pot life or working time like 2 component products
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY - Liquid Rubber Foundation Sealant is water based, containing no solvents, VOC's or harmful odors. Safe for humans and pets alike, can be used indoors and outdoors with no special breathing apparatus
- FOR A BULLETPROOF SYSTEM - Bridge joints, seams, vents, gaps, protrusions…. With Liquid Rubber Seam Tape or Liquid Rubber Geo-Textile where possible movement may occur
This could be a great choice if you want waterproof paint for indoor and outdoor use. Even though it is formulated for basement ceilings and concrete foundations, it can do wonders on outdoor benches, cushions, and furniture.
It protects laminated furniture from water damage. The paint is eco-friendly and poses no danger to humans and pets as it contains no VOCs.
What We Liked Most
- Dry quickly
- It is versatile and easy to apply
2. Best Pocket-Friendly waterproof Paint– Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Liquid
- SEALS OUT WATER, AIR AND MOISTURE: Gorilla Waterproof Patch and Seal Spray is a flexible, rubberized coating that seals out water, air and moisture to stop and prevent leaks
- CRYSTAL CLEAR: dries crystal clear and transparent creating cleaner, finished projects than similar products
- EASY TO APPLY: brush, roll, trowel, dip or pour; Once applied, the self leveling formula smoothly covers small gaps and cracks ensuring a watertight seal
- TEMPERATURE AND UV RESISTANT: When dried, Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Liquid is temperature and UV resistant resulting in lasting repairs
- USE ON: Roofs, Gutters, Skylights, Flashing, Chimneys*, PVC Pipe Joints, Windows, RVs, DIY Projects and More! Not for continuous submersion or below-waterline use.
If you are operating on a string budget and still need top-quality outdoor paint, your search could end with this product. It is suitable for small projects.
The paint repels water and moisture. It is perfect for exterior use. Since it is rubberized, it is incredibly flexible. It is also simple to apply with a high-quality brush, roller, and trowel.
The paint offers top-notch UV protection, so the surfaces will not fade. You can use it for PVC pipes, gutters, roofs, and other DIY projects.
What We Liked Most
- It is UV resistant
- It is simple to apply
- It is suitable for different projects
What Could Be Improved
- It might peel off if surface preparation is wanting
3. Best for Coastal Areas – Rust-Oleum 206999 Marine Topside Paint
- Ideal for use on fiberglass, wood or metal surfaces above the waterline
- Oil-based formula is flexible and applies easily with excellent leveling
- Dries to the touch in as little as 1 to 2 hours and covers up to 100 sq ft
- Durable coating resists abrasion and extreme weather conditions and provides long-lasting UV protection
- Superior gloss retention and smooth finish help maintain the beauty and elegance of your surfaces
Rust-Oleum is a well-known brand in the paint industry. Its products cover nearly every aspect of painting.
This could be your choice if you prefer buying paint from tried and tested brands.
Rust-Oleum has been around for decades and has built a reputation that others could only dream about.
One of its best deals is the Rust-Oleum 206999 Marine Topside Paint.
What We Liked Most
- It is waterproof
- It Offers maximum protection from UV rays
- You can use it to paint furniture
- The paint is perfect for outdoor use, even if you live in coastal areas.
- It dries quickly, resists abrasion, and is durable.
What Could Be Improved
- Produces a strong odor
Does chalk paint come off with water?
Yes, chalk paint does come off with water. It’s one of the reasons people like to use chalk paint–it’s easy to wipe off! You only need soap, water, and scrubbing material to remove the stain. However, the paint will still be on the furniture after it’s washed off.
Is chalk paint water-based?
Yes, chalk paint is water-based. This makes it an excellent option for furniture that needs to be repainted. Cleaning up with just a little soap and water is also easy. Should you make a mistake while painting, you can quickly fix it without starting over from scratch. Remember, keeping chalk paint from scratch is essential to its lifespan.
Can chalk paint be used outside?
Yes, chalk paint can be used outside. It is an excellent choice for exterior projects because it’s weather-resistant and durable. Keep in mind when using chalk paint outdoors; It is not waterproof. So you’ll need to reapply a coat of sealant every few months to protect it from the elements.
Is chalkboard paint waterproof?
No, chalkboard paint is not waterproof. This means you should not use it on surfaces with much water contact. If the surface is in constant contact with water, consider sealing it first. Otherwise, the chalk paint will flake or chip off.
Is chalk paint waterproof? No. Chalk paint is not waterproof. However, it has particles that make it water-resistant. Though it can withstand the occasional spills here and there, it can not hold out against standing water.
Seal chalk paint If you plan to use it on surfaces continually exposed to water. It’ll keep your surfaces magnificent for eight years or more. You could also waterproof it with the methods we discussed here, and make it last a lifetime.