Though you can waltz into any hardware store and pick some random screw gun for your deck installation, the process’s ease and perfection will be as good as the screwdriver you are using.
Undoubtedly, using the best deck screw guns for your projects is a surefire way to ensure you finish your projects as fast as possible, with an extended degree of comfort and ease.
It moves your task from a very stressful one you want to get over to a straightforward one. Some brands and models are the best screw guns for deck installation within this category.
Short on time? Here are my top best deck screw guns:
Our Top Picks
|Makita XSF03Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Drywall...||756 Reviews||See Today's Price|
|Senco, DS440AC, Screwdriver Kit, 20-3/4 in||255 Reviews||See Today's Price|
|Ridgid R6791 3 In Drywall and Deck Collated Screwdriver...||236 Reviews||See Today's Price|
Best Deck Screw Guns
- Metabo HPT superdrive collated screwdriver – (Best collated screw gun)
- Dewalt DW268 6.5 Amp versa-clutch screw gun – (Best for corded Electric Screw Gun)
- Senco DS332-AC screwdriver – (Best Overall Stand up Deck Screw Gun)
- Makita XSF03Z LXT lithium-ion screwdriver – (Best cordless drywall/deck screw gun)
- Senco DS440AC 3” 4000 RPM screwdriver – (Best for high-speed applications)
- Ridgid R6791 collated screwdriver – (Best for depth control)
- Muro auto-feed screw gun – (Best auto-feed deck screw gun)
Best Deck Screw Gun Product Preview (Updated List)
I have spent a good time researching a plethora of decking screw guns you can trust in your project. Here is my take on the seven best deck screw gun reviews.
1. Best collated screw gun for decking -Metabo HPT Superdrive
- Includes: W6VB3SD2 Collated Screwdriver, #2 Phillips Bit, #2 Square Bit, #2 LOX Bit, Decking Nose Piece
- POWER: Maximum speed of 2,600 RPM and an awesome torque rating of 139.6 in-lbs
- FASTENERS: Fastens screws from 5/8 In. to 3 In. and screw diameters from #6-#12
Metabo HPT SuperDrive is a top choice if you think of functionality. Screw guns with additional features tend to perform below expectations, which is not so.
The 20” extension shaft allows for more comfort while working, a useful extension for those who want to get a lot of screw-driving done but without the backaches.
I love this tool; It spots a maximum speed of 2,600 RPM in its SuperDrive system, enabling me to easily complete tasks in the shortest time possible. It also boasts an all-in-one technology, enabling me to clip any screw size ranging from 5/8” to 3” screws.
It also allows me to move around with minimal restraint with a 24.6 ft. power cord. Additionally, Metabo HPT is designed to be friendly on materials, as the tool-free depth feature ensures you can maintain the depth of the screw while tightening, thus saving your wall/deck boards from tears.
- SuperDrive technology
- Versatile application (for decks and drywall)
- Multiple attachments
- Best collated deck screw gun
- Tool-free adjustments
- Doesn’t spot an ergonomic design
2. Best Cordless Screw Gun-Dewalt DW268 6.5 Amp Screw Gun
- Helical-cut steel and heat-treated gears for long life and durability of the screw gun
- DEWALT screw gun has high power motor for metal fastening applications
- Versa-Clutch torque adjustment system of the drywall screw gun dials in the proper torque needed to efficiently drive fasteners without stripping or breaking
As a user of Dewalt screw guns, I have been impressed by their wide range of offerings. However, the DW268 stands out in their collection as an exceptional screw gun for decking projects.
Its lightweight design and ergonomic features make it a pleasure to work with for extended periods of time.
One of the standout features of the DW268 is its high-power motor, which provides torque and speed of up to 2500 RPM. This is particularly advantageous when working on metal decks, where a higher speed is often required.
Additionally, the versa-clutch torque adjustment system allows for easy speed adjustments, enabling me to achieve the desired screw depth for optimal outcomes.
Durability is also a key factor with the DW268. The heat-treated gears, metal nose, and helical cast steel are notable features that ensure its long-lasting performance.
I can trust that this screw gun will withstand heavy use and continue to deliver reliable results on my decking projects.
Overall, the DW268 is a top-performing screw gun from Dewalt that excels in durability, versatility, and ease of use. It has made its mark in the industry and has become my go-to choice for decking projects.
- Corded and with a high-power motor, making it reliable for long-term tasks
- Versa-clutch torque adjustment
- Highly durable
- Ergonomic design
- Suitable for a wide range of decking materials, including metal deck applications.
- The clutch is not rust proof
3. Best Overall Stand up Deck Screw Gun– Senco DS332-AC Screwdriver
- 2, 500 RPM high-torque motor and patent pending corner-fit feed system
- Tool-free screw length adjustment and belt hook-right or left handed adjustable
- Quick Slide button bit change and variable speed trigger with lock and reverse
Using the Senco DS332-AC before, I can confidently say that it has just the right features and components to make it my tool for professional and home use.
Not only is it easy to use, but it is also incredibly handy, reducing the chances of fatigue even during time-consuming tasks.
One of the standout features of the DS332-AC is its unique corner-fit auto-feed system, which sets it apart from most other auto-feed screw guns in the market.
The tool-free screw length adjustment is designed for easy access with either the left or right hand, allowing me to change bits and adjust the screw length effortlessly. The convenient belt hook also adds to its ease of use.
While the cord may make manoeuvrability a bit of a challenge, it is compensated by the high-power motor with a speed of up to 2500 RPM.
This combination ensures that the tool provides reliable and consistent power throughout the task execution, allowing me to work with confidence.
Overall, the Senco DS332-AC is a reliable and efficient screw gun suitable for professional and home use. Its unique features, ease of use, and consistent performance make it a top choice for me regarding auto-feed screw guns.
- Easy speed, screw length, and belt hook adjustment
- Reliable and consistent power supply
- Holds and auto-feeds up to 30 screws per setting
- Features a lightweight, ergonomic design
- Quick slide option for locking and unlocking device within seconds
- Prone to chucks
- Not ideal for tight corners
4. Best Cordless Multipurpose Stand up screw gun-Makita XSF03Z LXT
- BL Motor delivers 0-4,000 RPM to handle a variety of drywall and framing applications
- Push Drive Technology - in lock-on mode the motor starts only when the fastener is engaged for a quieter work environment and to save battery power
- The BL Brushless Motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL Motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
I can attest that Makita screw guns have a wide range of offerings, making it sometimes challenging to choose between them.
However, the XSF03Z LXT has made my decision-making process less stressful, especially when meeting my drywall and decking demands.
One of the standout features of this model is its long-lasting lithium-ion battery that charges quickly, minimizing downtime between work schedules.
This allows me to work efficiently without worrying about frequent battery replacements or lengthy charging times.
Additionally, the XSF03Z LXT features a brushless motor optimized for energy efficiency. It also has a lock-on mode that only turns the device on when the screws are properly fitted, saving energy and reducing noise.
With torque and speed of up to 4000 RPM, this screw gun delivers high performance on soft and hard materials, making it versatile for various tasks.
Moreover, its ergonomic design ensures smooth usability, reducing user fatigue and making it comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
The Makita XSF03Z LXT is a top-performing screw gun that meets drywall and decking demands. Its long-lasting battery, energy-efficient motor, and high-performance capabilities make it a reliable choice for my screw gun needs.
- Energy-saving, brushless motor
- High rotation speed
- Energy-saving push drive technology
- Indicates when the battery is due for a charge
- Lightweight, ergonomic design
- Versatile – for both drywall and decking
- Questionable durability
- Not so compatible with large screws
- Though rarely, drill chuck could be unstable sometimes
5. Bets for High-Speed Applications-Senco DS440AC
- Mpn: DS440AC
- Imported from: Unknown
- Commercial Brand: Senco
I must say that Senco screw guns are truly designed with the needs of professionals in mind.
Unlike the DS332-AC, which features a speed of 2500 RPM, the DS440AC boasts a high-power motor that delivers an even higher speed of up to 4000 RPM. This makes it a perfect tool for my collection, especially for decking projects.
The DS440AC is a versatile auto-feed deck screw gun compatible with a wide range of screws ranging from 1″ to 3″, and it can drive them effortlessly at 4000 RPM.
This makes it suitable for various decking applications. It also comes with industrial-grade attachments, including an extension pole with a secondary handle, making it even more convenient.
This powerful and versatile screw gun in my arsenal gives me confidence and excitement for every decking project I undertake.
The high speed and industrial-grade attachments make it a reliable choice for professional use, and it is evident that Senco has truly considered the needs of professionals in its design.
- Incredibly fast
- Reliable and consistent power supply
- Suitable for applying a large number of screws
- Impressive autoloader
- Ergonomic design
- The reverse/forward button is not placed with convenience in mind
- Requires specific angle adjustment for application of screws
6. Best for Depth Control–Ridgid R6791 Collated Screwdriver
- Includes (1) Nailer
- Genuine OEM Replacement Part # ZRR6791
- Consult owners manual for proper part number identification and proper installation
As someone who has handled this device, one of the first things I noticed is how lightweight it is, despite its impressive array of features.
With a powerful 6.5 amp motor delivering 3,700 RPM, it is perfect for professionals and DIYers handling medium to large-scale decking projects.
The hex grip on this screw gun is made of an innovative micro texture, allowing for a firm and secure grip, even when operating on hard surfaces or at the highest torque.
The durable power cord supplies the motor with consistent 120 volts throughout the project, ensuring reliable performance. This screw gun should be at the top of your list if you are looking for a handy collated screw gun for your decking projects.
The depth adjustment wheel makes countersinking and depth control a breeze, while the tool-free nose piece allows quick switching between 1″ to 3″ screw sizes. Additionally, it is reasonably priced and offers excellent value for money.
As a professional or DIYer, this deck screw gun, with its lightweight design, powerful motor, innovative grip, and convenient features, is a top choice for decking projects.
It is reliable, easy to use, and offers great value, making it a worthwhile investment for any decking project.
- Versatile – suitable for a wide range of materials
- Compact, lightweight design
- Suitable for both left and right-hand users
- Steady and reliable power supply
- Effortless depth control
- Mostly available as factory reconditioned – might show some wear.
7. Best Auto-Feed Screw Gun-Muro Pro Auto-feed Screw Gun
The Muro Pro is a powerful screw gun equipped with the best components to ensure its performance. As a proud user, I can attest that it ranks among the best auto-feed screw guns available in the market, suitable for industrial and home applications.
Not only is it perfect for deck applications, but it also excels in other tasks that require screwing or framing.
One of the standout features of the Muro Pro is its adjustable depth setting, which allows for precise screw placement, even when rotating at high speeds of up to 2900 RPM powered by 115V.
This ensures minimal risk of damaging walls, decking, roofing, or screws during operation. Moreover, the depth adjustment feature allows for easy countersinking, producing a professional finish.
Another aspect of the Muro Pro’s design that I find highly beneficial is its ergonomic design, which includes a telescopic handle. This allows me to work while standing straight, reducing the risk of backaches or fatigue during extended periods of use.
Additionally, the consistent and reliable power supply from the power cords enables me to operate the tool for long periods of time without interruptions.
The Muro Pro is a top-performing screw gun designed and packed with features to make my tasks easier and more efficient.
Its power, versatility, adjustable depth, ergonomic design, and reliable performance make it a go-to choice for various applications, from decking to framing.
- Extensive versatility
- Reversible technology
- Best auto feed deck screw gun
- Compatible with a wide range of screws
- Ergonomic design
- The power cord is not long enough
Screw Gun for Decks Comparison Table
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Deck Screw Gun
Avoid the stress of a trial-and-error approach when buying a screw gun; the factors discussed below can help you make an informed choice.
1. Frequency of use/Multipurpose
If your jobs require the frequent or daily use of screw guns, then highly durable screw guns are a worthy investment.
Durable screw guns help save costs and prevent unnecessary downtimes, which might ensue due to money and time spent repairing screw guns that get faulty every other day.
In a different scenario, say you are running on a budget, multipurpose screw guns might be an appealing choice. These screw guns also double as a drill, thus saving you the cost of buying an additional drill.
Irrespective of their dual use, it is important to ensure that the drill functions don’t impede the efficiency or effectiveness of the machine’s screw-driving functions.
2. Type of Deck
It is easy to overlook this factor when purchasing a screw gun for deck installation. Always consider the size and type of deck and deck boards to determine the type of screws and screw guns to complete your tasks.
With this information in mind, you might find that your best choice for the job is a collated screw gun, which is compatible with a broad range of screws and allows for depth adjustment.
The deck type also determines whether you should go for a screw gun with an extension or telescopic handle. If your deck is made of pressure-treated wood, you may want to check the best deck screws for treated lumber review.
3. Rotation Speed
It is important to know that with screw guns, the speed rule is very simple; The Faster, The Better. This aspect is mostly under the control of your budget, as screw guns with high optimum speed tend to be a bit more expensive than their counterparts.
However, it is always best to opt for models with high rotation speed. In so doing, you would, to a reasonable extent, be assured that your tasks would be completed faster, thus saving yourself some valuable time.
Related Article: Top 9 Best Sealers for Treated Deck
4. Corded or Cordless
For a variety of reasons, you might prefer one over the other. Whichever you are going for, your focus should be on the availability of power supply and the nature of your tasks.
Generally, corded screw guns tend to transmit more power than cordless models. However, some come with very long wires that some persons might perceive as a source of discomfort while working in an enclosed space, and others might perceive it as an advantage while covering distances.
Lithium-ion batteries power corded screw guns; hence, you don’t have to plug them into utility power while working. If you work for long hours at a time, you might find corded screw guns a more reliable option.
On the other hand, cordless models are also very useful for working in areas without a stable power supply. Furthermore, they make it possible to work in spaces that are off the reach of a power source without the stress of dragging wires over distances or opting for outdoor generators.
5. Collated or Single
Screw guns with a single screwdriver bit can only drive in a single screw at a time, while collated screw guns are compatible with a wide range of screw sizes and feature an auto-feed function, which allows for easy and quick driving of collated screws.
Collated screw guns are ideal for repetitive screw-driving tasks like house building, while single screwdrivers might be suitable for simple repairs.
Given the new crop of screw guns hitting the market, you must consider this factor. A screw gun’s motor is responsible for the rotating segment of the tool. Consequently, this determines the efficiency of a screw gun.
Newer models of screw guns feature a brushless motor, arguably more efficient than older models that feature a brush. Also, with brushless motors, you don’t have to change brushes after prolonged use.
For heavy-duty tasks, screw guns with 18V – 20V capacity; for light-duty tasks, screw guns with a 3.6V battery capacity.
Also, if you are adding to your screw guns collection, it might be a good move to opt for a model compatible with your older tools’ batteries. Having a spare battery can go a long way in saving you from downtime.
Whichever choice you make, always opt for screw guns with strong, long-lasting batteries. A screw gun lasting up to 8 hours is a good start. You may also want to buy a spare to keep charged while working with the other.
Benefits of Using Screw Gun for Decking
- High accuracy
- Easy to use
- Higher productivity
Types of Screw Guns for Decks
- Cordless – runs on battery power.
- Autofeed – with a strip for attaching and feeding screws automatically.
- Collated – Specially made for depth.
- Drywall – specially designed for hanging drywall.
Screw Gun vs Drill
Despite looking so much alike from afar, functionalities set the difference between a screw gun and a drill.
Among other distinctions, drills have drill bits that could be attached to carry out several tasks, including drilling all kinds of materials, grinding, and even mixing.
At the same time, screw guns are specially designed for fastening screws. Also, a screw gun is a little more efficient as it runs faster, and its depth is adjustable, unlike a drill where you have to know how far to drill without damaging materials.
It’s also important to mention that some drills can double up as screw guns because they come with nose bits for driving screws.
Find out: How to make a pilot hole without a drill
Dos and Don’ts When Using Stand-up Screw Guns for Decking
If you intend to own a screw gun, there are a few rules you should abide by if you wish to utilize the maximum value out of your tool. Let’s take a look at some of these hardly spoken rules below.
- Don’t allow your battery to get completely drained. They are more durable if recharged when they show weakness while in use.
- Don’t expose or work with your tools excessively under hot temperatures. Allow some time to cool off if the device becomes hot.
- When purchasing screw guns with LED lights, ensure their positioning doesn’t cast shadows on your work area.
- Adjust your tool to the appropriate low, medium, or high intensity according to the material being worked on.
- Only make use of screws that are compatible with your screw gun.
- Do routine checks, maintain, and store properly to avoid the build-up of rust or other conditions that might affect your tool’s performance.
Read: How to Remove Sunken Nails from Wood
Best Screw gun for Decking FAQs
Can You Use Normal Screws for Decking?
No. It is best always to use recommended decking screws for decking. While you might be able to use normal screws on your deck, the aftermath won’t give the desired results, and the durability of the decking would be questionable.
Should I Pre-Drill Holes for Deck Screws?
If you are unfamiliar with screw guns or deck installations, it might be a good idea to always pre-drill before driving in screws to avoid splitting the material.
However, whether you are a hobby builder or a professional, it is necessary to always drill holes before applying screws to a deck board’s edge.
See: The best screws for hanging cabinets
What is special about decking screws?
They are mostly designed with smooth upper shanks to allow for countersinking. Also, the composition materials are resistant to rust and corrosion.
Do you Screw Decking at Every Joist?
Generally speaking, you should. Two screws placed 1” apart should be attached to each joist. You don’t have to screw decking at every joist.
Recommended Reading: Best nail gun for baseboards and crown molding nail gun
What’s the Best Screw Gun for Deck
With the insights provided, it is important to note that the criteria for choosing the above screw guns are mostly based on their suitability as the best screw guns for deck applications.
Note that this list is not intended to cover the best screw guns in the market. Nonetheless, Senco DS440AC is inarguably the best deck screw and a serious contender if we look for the overall best screw guns.
It has the highest torque, is compatible with a wide range of screws, and envelopes many other impressive capabilities and functionalities.