Though you can waltz into any hardware store and pick some random screw gun for your deck installation, the ease and perfection of the process will only be as good as the screwdriver you are using.
Without a doubt, using the best deck screw guns for your projects is a surefire way to ensure that you finish your projects as fast as possible, with an extended degree of comfort and ease. It moves your task from a very stressful one that you want to get over with to a straightforward task
Within this category, some brands and models stand out as the best screw guns for deck installation. Short on time? Here are our top best deck screw guns:
Best Deck Screw Guns
- Metabo HPT superdrive collated screwdriver – (Best functionality and versatility)
- Dewalt DW268 6.5 Amp versa-clutch screw gun – (Best for corded Electric Screw Gun)
- Senco DS332-AC screwdriver – (Best Overall Deck Screw Gun)
- Makita XSF03Z LXT lithium-ion screwdriver – (Best cordless drywall/deck screw gun)
- Senco DS440AC 3” 4000 RPM screwdriver – (Best for high-speed applications)
- Ridgid R6791 collated screwdriver – (Best for depth control)
- Muro auto-feed screw gun – (Best auto-feed deck screw gun)
We have spent a good time researching a plethora of decks crews you can trust in your project. Here is our take on the seven best deck screw gun reviews.
1. Best Functionality and Versatility-Metabo HPT Superdrive
- Includes: W6VB3SD2 Collated Screwdriver, #2 Phillips Bit, #2 Square Bit, #2 LOX Bit, Decking Nose Piece
- POWER: Maximum speed of 2,600 RPM and an awesome torque rating of 139.6 in-lbs
- FASTENERS: Fastens screws from 5/8 In. to 3 In. and screw diameters from #6-#12
- APPLICATIONS: Decking and sub floor projects
- CORD: 24.6 Ft. cord that allows you to move around the jobsite without having to stop
If you are thinking of functionality, Metabo HPT SuperDrive is a top choice. Oftentimes, screw guns with additional features tend to perform a bit below expectations, but it is not so in this case.
The 20” extension shaft allows for more comfort while working, a useful extension for those who want to get a lot of screw-driving done but without the backaches.
More so, it spots a maximum speed of 2,600 RPM in its SuperDrive system, which enables you to complete tasks in the least time possible with ease. It also boasts of an all-in-one technology, making it possible for users to clip any screw size ranging from 5/8” to 3” screws.
With a long, 24.6 ft. power cord, you can move around with minimal restraint. Additionally, Metabo HPT is designed to be friendly on materials, as the tool-free depth feature ensures you can maintain the depth of screw while tightening, thus saving your wall/deck boards from tears.
- SuperDrive technology
- Versatile application (for decks and drywall)
- Multiple attachments
- Tool-free adjustments
- Doesn’t spot an ergonomic design
2. Best Cordless Screw Gun-Dewalt DW268 6.5 Amp Screw Gun
- Helical-cut steel and heat-treated gears for long life and durability of the screw gun
- DEWALT screw gun has high power motor for metal fastening applications
- Versa-Clutch torque adjustment system of the drywall screw gun dials in the proper torque needed to efficiently drive fasteners without stripping or breaking
- Two-finger trigger for increased comfort and ease of use
- Metal nose and gear case for durability on the job
Dewalt has made a mark in the industry with its wide range of remarkable screw guns offerings, but DW268 stands in their collection as an exceptional screw-gun for decking. It is a lightweight screw-driving machine with an ergonomic design that makes it an exciting piece to work with for as long as is possible.
DW268’s high-power motor offers torque and speed up to 2500 RPM, which poses an advantage when working on metal decks. Furthermore, the speed can be easily adjusted using the versa-clutch torque adjustment system, allowing for the application of various screw depths for desired outcomes.
Also, with DW268, durability is not a factor to be questioned. The heat-treated gears, metal nose, and helical cast steel are commendable features that assure durability.
- Corded and with a high-power motor, making it reliable for long-term tasks
- Versa-clutch torque adjustment
- Highly durable
- Ergonomic design
- Suitable for a wide range of decking materials, including metal deck applications.
- The clutch is not rust proof
3. Best Overall Deck Screw Gun– Senco DS332-AC Screwdriver
- 2, 500 RPM high-torque motor and patent pending corner-fit feed system
- Tool-free screw length adjustment and belt hook-right or left handed adjustable
- Quick Slide button bit change and variable speed trigger with lock and reverse
- Patented sliding screw guide and precise depth-of-drive adjustment with depth lock
- Comes complete with two drive bits, drywall and wood nosepiece, and storage bag
Senco DS332-AC has just the right features and components to make it a tool of choice for professional and home use. It is easy to use, and even more so, it is very handy, limiting the chances of fatigue while working on time-consuming tasks.
DS332-AC’s unique corner-fit auto-feed system sets it apart from most other auto-feed screw guns in the market. The tool-free screw length adjustment is fitted to allow for easy access with either the left or right hand, allowing the user to change bits easily and adjust screw length and belt hook effortlessly.
Though the cord makes maneuverability a bit of a chore, it is complemented by a high-power motor with speed up to 2500 RPM. This combination makes it possible for the tool to supply reliable and consistent power all through task execution.
- Easy speed, screw length, and belt hook adjustment
- Reliable and consistent power supply
- Holds and auto-feeds up to 30 screws per setting
- Features lightweight, ergonomic design
- Quick slide option for locking and unlocking device within seconds
- Prone to chucks
- Not ideal for tight corners
4. Best Cordless Multipurpose-Makita XSF03Z LXT
- BL Motor delivers 0-4,000 RPM to handle a variety of drywall and framing applications
- Push Drive Technology - in lock-on mode the motor starts only when the fastener is engaged for a quieter work environment and to save battery power
- The BL Brushless Motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL Motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
- Efficient BL Brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
- The electronically-controlled BL Brushless Motor efficiently uses energy to match torque and RPM to the changing demands of the application
Makita has many screw gun market offerings, and sometimes it is almost hard to choose between one Makita screw gun and the other. XSF03Z LXT makes choosing a bit less stressful, especially if you are looking for a screw gun that meets both your drywall and decking demands.
This model features a lithium-ion battery, which is long-lasting and charges fast, allowing downtime in-between work schedules to be very minimal.
Furthermore, it features a brushless motor that has been optimized to save energy. In the same vein, it possesses a lock-on mode that turns the device on only when the screws have been properly fitted – consequently saving energy and limiting noise.
With torque and speed up to 4000 RPM, it delivers high performance on both soft and hard materials. Overall, it is ergonomically designed to make usability a smooth process.
- Energy-saving, brushless motor
- High rotation speed
- Energy-saving push drive technology
- Indicates when the battery is due for a charge
- Lightweight, ergonomic design
- Versatile – for both drywall and decking
- Questionable durability
- Not so compatible with large screws
- Though rarely, drill chuck could be unstable sometimes
5. Bets for High-Speed Applications-Senco DS440AC
- Mpn: DS440AC
- Imported from: Unknown
- Commercial Brand: Senco
- Country of origin: United States
With Senco’s second entry in this list, what you get is a device designed with the utmost needs of professionals in mind.
Unlike DS332-AC, which features 2500 RPM, DS440AC features a high-power motor that delivers an equally high speed at rates up to 4000 RPM. By having this in your tools collection, you can be sure to look forward to every decking project.
It is a versatile auto-feed deck screw gun that is compatible with and able to effortlessly drive a wide range of screws (1” to 3”) at 4000 rpm. This device is suitable for decking applications, and it comes with industrial-grade attachments, including an extension pole with a secondary handle.
- Incredibly fast
- Reliable and consistent power supply
- Suitable for applying a large number of screws
- Impressive autoloader
- Ergonomic design
- Reverse/forward button not placed with convenience in mind
- Requires specific angle adjustment for application of screws
6. Best for Depth Control–Ridgid R6791 Collated Screwdriver
- Includes (1) Nailer
- Genuine OEM Replacement Part # ZRR6791
- Consult owners manual for proper part number identification and proper installation
- Please refer to list for compatibility
One of the first things you notice when you handle this device is its lightweight, even while comprising an impressive array of features, including a powerful 6.5 amp motor delivering 3,700 RPM. You should consider a highly-rated deck screw gun if you are a professional or DIYer handling medium to large-scale decking projects.
It features a hex grip made of an innovative micro texture, allowing for a firm and secure grip when operating on hard surfaces or at the highest torque. The power cord is durable and able to supply the motor with up to 120 volts consistently throughout your project.
This should definitely be a top choice if you are looking for a handy collated screw gun to use for your decking projects.
The depth adjustment wheel makes countersinking and depth control a walk in the park, while the tool-free nose piece allows for quick switching between 1” to 3” screw sizes. Also, the device is reasonably priced and offers excellent value for money.
- Versatile – suitable for a wide range of materials
- Compact lightweight design
- Suitable for both left and right-hand users
- Steady and reliable power supply
- Effortless depth control
- Mostly available as factory reconditioned – might show some wear.
7. Best Auto-Feed System-Muro Pro Auto-feed Screw Gun
Muro Pro is as powerful as any screw gun can get, and the manufacturers made sure of this by equipping it with the best of components.
It ranks as one of the best auto-feed screw guns in the market, suitable for all kinds of industrial and home applications. Its usage goes beyond deck application to extend to other applications requiring screwing-driving or framing.
The adjustable depth ensures that even while rotating at high speed up to 2900 RPM powered by 115V, damage to walls, decking, roofing, or screws are highly unlikely to occur. Additionally, the depth adjustment allows for countersinking.
Its ergonomic design also features a telescopic handle, so you can work while standing straight to avoid getting backaches or fatigued easily. Consistent and reliable power supply from the power cords gives room for long-time operations.
- Extensive versatility
- Reversible technology
- Compatible with a wide range of screws
- Ergonomic design
- The power cord is not long enough
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Deck Screw Gun
Avoid the stress of a trial-and-error approach when buying a screw gun, the factors discussed below can help you make an informed choice.
1. Frequency of use/Multipurpose
If your jobs require the frequent or daily use of screw guns, then highly durable screw guns are a worthy investment.
Durable screw guns help save costs and prevent unnecessary downtimes, which might ensue due to money and time spent on repairing screw guns that get faulty every other day.
In a different scenario, say, you are running on a budget, multipurpose screw guns might be an appealing choice. These screw guns also double as a drill, thus saving you the cost of buying an additional drill.
Irrespective of their dual use, it is important to ensure that the drill functions don’t impede the efficiency or effectiveness of the machine’s screw-driving functions.
2. Type of Deck
It is really easy to overlook this factor when purchasing a screw gun for deck installation. Always take into account the size and type of deck and deck boards in question to determine the type of screws and screw gun to use in completing your tasks.
With this information in mind, you might find that your best choice for the job is a collated screw gun, which is compatible with a broad range of screws and also allows for a depth adjustment.
The deck type is also a determinant of whether you should be going for a screw gun that features an extension or a telescopic handle. If your deck is made of pressure-treated wood, you may want to check the best deck screws for treated lumber review.
3. Rotation Speed
It is important to know that with screw guns, the speed rule is very simple; The Faster, The Better. This aspect is mostly under the control of your budget, as screw guns with high optimum speed tend to be a bit more expensive than their counterparts.
However, if you can, it is always best to opt for models with high rotation speed. In so doing, you would, to a reasonable extent, be assured that your tasks would be completed faster, thus saving yourself some valuable time.
Related Article: Top 9 Best Sealers for Treated Deck
4. Corded or Cordless
For a variety of reasons, you might prefer one over the other. Whichever you are going for, your focus should be on the availability of power supply and the nature of your tasks.
Generally, corded screw guns tend to transmit more power than cordless models. However, some come with very long wires that some persons might perceive as a source of discomfort while working in an enclosed space, and others might perceive it as an advantage while covering distances.
Lithium-ion batteries power corded screw guns; hence, you don’t have to plug them into utility power while working. If you work for very long hours at a time, you might find corded screw guns to be a more reliable option.
On the other hand, cordless models are also very useful for working in areas without a stable power supply. Furthermore, they make it possible to work in spaces that are off the reach of a power source, without the stress of dragging wires over distances or opting for outdoor generators.
5. Collated or Single
Screw guns with a single screwdriver bit can only drive in a single screw at a time, while collated screw guns are compatible with a wide range of screw sizes and feature an auto-feed function, which allows for easy and quick driving of collated screws.
Collated screw guns are ideal for tasks involving repetitive screw-driving such as house building, while single screwdrivers might be suitable for simple repairs.
Given the new crop of screw guns hitting the market, you need to consider this factor. A screw gun’s motor is responsible for the rotating segment of the tool. Consequently, this determines the efficiency of a screw gun.
Newer models of screw guns feature a brushless motor, arguably more efficient than older models that feature a brush. Also, with brushless motors, you don’t have to change brushes after prolonged use.
For heavy-duty tasks, go for screw guns with 18V – 20V capacity, and for light-duty tasks, go for screw guns with 3.6V battery capacity.
Also, if you are making an addition to your screw guns collection, it might be a good move to opt for a model that is compatible with the batteries of your older tools. Having a spare battery can go a long way in saving you from downtimes.
Whichever choice you make, always opt for screw guns with strong, long-lasting batteries. A screw gun that lasts for up to 8 hours is a good start. You may also want to buy a spare that you can keep charged while working with the other.
Benefits of Using Screw Gun for Decking
- High accuracy
- Easy to use
- Higher productivity
Types of Screw Guns
- Cordless – runs on battery power.
- Autofeed – with a strip for attaching and feeding screws automatically.
- Collated – Specially made for depth.
- Drywall – specially designed for hanging drywall.
Screw Gun vs Drill
Despite looking so much alike from afar, functionalities set the difference between a screw gun and a drill.
Among other distinctions, drills have drill bits that could be attached to carry out several tasks, including drilling all kinds of materials, grinding, and even mixing.
At the same time, screw guns are specially designed for fastening screws. Also, a screw gun is a little more efficient as it runs faster, and its depth is adjustable, unlike a drill where you just have to know how far to drill without damaging materials.
It’s also important to mention that some drills can double up as screw guns because they come with nose bits for driving screws.
Find out: How to make a pilot hole without a drill
Dos and Don’ts
If you intend to own a screw gun, then there are a few rules you ought to abide by if you wish to utilize the maximum value out of your tool. Let’s take a look at some of these hardly spoken rules below.
- Don’t allow your battery to get completely drained. They are more durable if recharged when they start showing signs of weakness while in use.
- Don’t expose or work with your tools for too long under hot temperatures. Allow some time to cool off if the device becomes hot.
- When purchasing screw guns with LED lights, make sure their positioning doesn’t cast shadows on your work area.
- Adjust your tool to the appropriate intensity – low, medium, or high intensity – according to the material being worked on.
- Only make use of screws that are compatible with your screw gun.
- Do routine checks, maintain, and store properly to avoid build-up of rust or other conditions that might affect your tool’s performance.
Best Screw gun for Decking FAQs
Can You Use Normal Screws for Decking?
No. It is best to always use recommended decking screws for decking. While you might be able to use normal screws on your deck, the aftermath won’t give the desired results, and the durability of the decking would be questionable.
Should I Pre-Drill Holes for Deck Screws?
If you are not so familiar with the use of screw guns or deck installations, it might be a good idea for you to always pre-drill before driving in screws to avoid splitting the material.
However, whether you are a hobby builder or professional, it is necessary to always drill holes before applying screws to a deck board’s edge.
What is special about decking screws?
They are mostly designed with smooth upper shanks to allow for countersinking. Also, the composition materials are resistant to rust and corrosion.
Do you Screw Decking at Every Joist?
Generally speaking, you should. Two screws placed 1” apart should be attached to each joist. You don’t have to screw decking at every joist.
Recommended Reading: Best nail gun for baseboards
What’s the Best Screw Gun for Deck
With the insights provided, it is important to note that the criteria for choosing the screw-guns listed above are mostly centered on their suitability as the best screw guns for deck applications.
Note that this list is not intended to cover the overall best screw guns in the market. Nonetheless, Senco DS440AC is inarguably the best deck screw and a serious contender if we are ever looking for the overall best screw guns. It has the highest torque, is compatible with a wide range of screws, and envelopes many other impressive capabilities and functionalities.