There are so many types of paints on the market these days, it can be hard to know which one to choose for your next wood crafting project.
If you’re looking for paint that will give your crafts a beautiful finish and last for a long time, then you should consider the best paint for wood crafts.
In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the best options available and tell you what to look for when choosing the best craft paint for wood.
In a hurry, don’t worry, here’s a breakdown of all the paints we’ll review.
Our Top Picks
|Apple Barrel PROMOABI Acrylic Paint Set, 2 Fl Oz (Pack of 18), Assorted Matte Colors, 18 Count||32,121 Reviews||See More Details|
|Crafts 4 All Acrylic Paint Set - Art Paints for Canvas, Model Painting, Wood, Ceramics and Fabric -...||25,751 Reviews||See More Details|
|Liquitex BASICS 48 Tube Acrylic Paint Set, 22ml||10,289 Reviews||See More Details|
Best Paint For Wood Crafts
- Apple Barrel Promoabi Acrylic Paint– (Best Non- Toxic Wood Craft Paint)
- Crafts 4 All Acrylic Paint Set – (Best Acrylic Paint for Wood Crafts)
- Liquitex BASICS 48 Tube Acrylic Paint– (Best Budget Option)
- Arteza Acrylic Paint, Set of 60 Colors/Tubes – (Best Acrylic Paint for Beginners)
- Castle Art Supplies 24 Acrylic Paints Tubes – (Best Paint for Outdoor Wood crafts)
- Rust-Oleum Specialty Metallic – (Best Spray Paint for Wood Crafts)
- Acrylic Paint Set – (Best Paint for Unfinished Wood Crafts)
- FolkArt Home Decor Chalk Furniture & Craft Paint – (Best Chalk Paint for Wood Crafts)
- Acrylic Paint Set, Shuttle Art 30 – (Best Paint for Wood Art)
- Magicfly 30 Colors Acrylic Paint Set – (Best Water Based Acrylic Paint for Wood)
- GOTIDEAL Acrylic Paint Set– (Best Paint for Wood Projects)
- Mont Marte Signature Acrylic Color Paint Set – (Best Airbrush Paints for Wood Crafts)
- Sax True Flow Heavy Body Acrylic Paint Set – (Best Multi-Purpose)
Best Craft Paint for Wood Projects Reviews (Updated List)
Based on our research, here are the top craft paints for wood;
1. Best Non-toxic Wood Craft Paint– Apple Barrel Promoabi Acrylic Paint
- CONVENIENT SIZE & FUN BRIGHT COLORS - This versatile acrylic paint set includes 18 - 2 oz bottles of colorful craft paint. The colors in this kit include: White, Yellow Flame, Bright Yellow, Bright Magenta, Fuchsia, Jack-o-lantern, Flag Red, Purple Iris, Parrot Blue, Bimini Blue, Bright Blue, Too Blue, New Shamrock, Holly Branch, Nutmeg Brown, Melted Chocolate, Pewter Grey, and Black
- MATTE FINISH - Each of these bold and bright colors dries to a brilliant matte finish - perfect for all your arts and crafts!
- EASY & SMOOTH APPLICATION - Use on a variety of surfaces including wood, Styrofoam, plaster, terra cotta, and more. This versatile acrylic paint can easily be brushed, stamped, stenciled or sponged to your projects
- SIMPLE CLEAN UP - Clean up is easy with Apple Barrel acrylic paint. Simply clean up while wet with soap and water. Great acrylic paint set for adults and kids!
- AMERICAN MADE - Apple Barrel is proudly made in the USA
Apple Barrel Promoabi Acrylic Paint is a non-toxic best paint that allows you to express yourself artistically regardless of age. It can never hurt you even if you use it daily.
You can use it on surfaces such as wood, terra cotta, and plaster. You can brush, spray, or stamp it on your projects.
The artist-quality acrylics items are fantastic to work with. You can use them to paint river stones without sanding them down. They dry quickly, are easy to clean with just soap and water. The vibrant and vivid colors remain true to what you see when the wood crafting paint is wet.
This beautiful set comes in a strong cardboard box that you can use for storage for a long time.
Using this craft paint for wood injects more life into your pieces, making you look like a pro, even if it is your first time painting.
- It is affordable, and you get the exact colors you want.
- You get a variety of colors cheaply, so you have a lot to choose from.
- The colors are as pictured.
- Artist quality acrylics
- They are non-toxic
- They do not do well if you need strong opacity for your painting.
2. Best Acrylic Paint for Wood Crafts – Crafts 4 All Acrylic Paint Set
- VIBRANT QUALITY - Bring your paintings to life with our quick-dry, non-toxic acrylic paints! Available in a variety of vivid pigments, they are sure to suit any beginner or professional artist’s palette.
- MULTIPURPOSE - Whether you need a finger painting kit, a model paint set, new ceramic paint, or an assortment of wood paint for crafts, this nifty acrylic paint kit works as all the above and more.
- EASY TO BLEND - Our acrylic paint sets for adults and kids are formulated to bring out maximum brilliance and clarity. A buttery consistency also lends to effortless mixing and blending of colors.
- COMPLETE SET - Paint acrylic masterpieces using the Crafts 4 All art paint set! Along with 3 brushes, you'll receive 24 washable, eye-catching colors packaged in easy-to-use acrylic paint tubes.
- THE ULTIMATE GIFT - Master the fine art of gift giving! This acrylic painting set is perfect for the budding Picasso just starting out, or for the seasoned studio artist.
These water-based acrylic paints are made to produce optimal brilliance and color purity while maintaining a consistency that allows for easy mixing compared to other acrylic paints.
The non-toxic blend generates vibrant, durable colors that dry quickly, making it ideal for painters, crafters, and hobbyists. The eight-ounce brush set is perfect for making masterpieces whether you are working on paper or canvas.
This 24-piece large acrylic paint set has a broad spectrum of bold and vibrant colors. These vibrant pigment acrylics will encourage you to keep bringing your artistic visions to reality. This wood-crafting paint includes the primary acrylic colors plus a few extras to enable you or your artist pals to add a splash of color to every piece of artwork.
- Easy to apply
- It is easy to clean and dries up very quickly
- It is non-toxic
- It is effortless to clean up since it is water-based
- It gives you value for your money
- You can use it on canvas, glass, rocks, plaster and still get excellent results.
- It is almost odorless
- The colors are vibrant and vivid.
- The set comes with nice detail brushes
- Ideal for professionals and beginners
- You can mix various colors to get the color you need without stress.
- The size of the tubes is a bit small.
3. Best Budget Pick – Liquitex BASICS 48 Tube Acrylic Paint
- WHY BASICS; Liquitex invented artists' acrylics back in 1955 and we've specialized in acrylics ever since; Basics gives you the perfect balance of quality and economy; Made for all artists; Basics acrylics are student quality
- HIGHEST QUALITY PIGMENTS Basics uses the the same high quality pigments and rigorous manufacturing process as our professional range; Pigments are ground with tiny reinforced ceramic beads to give fine dispersion, great color development, strength, and brightness
- VERSATILE Basics acrylic dries quickly and can be cleaned up with water while wet. It can easily flex, and sticks to almost any surface including canvas, paper & board, wood, masonry, metal, styrofoam, stone, ceramics, and textiles
- ADJUSTABLE Basics comes in a range of opacities, and can be adjusted to use as an undertone, tint, or shade. For futher freedom, our mediums include everything you need to prep and finish your work, and to change your paints character
- SET INCLUDES Forty eight 22 milliliter (0.74 ounce) tubes; Colors are listed in the description
Basics paint tubes offer you the ideal balance of economy and quality. It is suitable for artists of every experience level. This is a good paint for wood crafts because it dries up pretty fast, and you can easily clean it with water when still wet.
You can use it on surfaces such as wood, metal, masonry, stone, paper, canvas, ceramics, textiles, and styrofoam.
This wood-crafting paint is adjustable, and it has different opacities. You can modify it as you like and use it as an undertone, tint, or shade.
- It is super smooth and mixes very well.
- The set has several shades, so you are spoilt for choice
- If you are not working on big projects, the paint will last for a long time
- You get high-quality paints that are rich and nice and go on smoothly
- The colors have great textures and superb consistency.
- It is suitable for beginners plus professional painters
- Its price is reasonable given the size of the tubes
- It is a good variety if you are not a fan of mixing colors yourself
- There are no black and white paints on the set, so you have to buy them separately.
4. Best Acrylic Paint for Beginners– Arteza Acrylic Paint
- Exciting Selection of Artist-Quality Colors: Whether you’re new to acrylic painting or a seasoned artist, colors like Lemon Yellow, Phthalo Blue & Crimson Red will set fire to your imagination.
- Rich, Vivid Pigments: Your premium acrylic paint kit features smooth, highly pigmented color to produce true, consistent shades. Ideal for canvas painting, these colors won’t fade over time.
- Designed and Created by Artists: Here at Arteza, we are passionate about creating products that inspire. For us, art is an expression of the human experience. That’s why we work to make our art supplies accessible to all people.
- We Care About Our Customers: We want to ensure you have a great experience with our products because we truly care about our customers. Our team strives to create products we’re proud of. If you have any issues with our products, please reach out and we’ll make it right.
Suppose you have developed a great interest in painting. You want to buy a paint set that includes various tones and tints so that you can practice freely without struggling to generate your colors. In that case, Arteza acrylic paint could be your top pick.
This set comes in sixty different colors to give you the freedom you need when trying something new.
The wood crafting paint itself is effortless to work with and dries to a lovely shine. It is suitable for painters and artists of every experience level. It includes a broad range of colors and high-quality best paint with excellent pigmentation.
You’ll love it as the paint itself is silky, rich, and vibrant.
These best paints come in a sturdy box which you can use for storing the colors neatly.
It is certified, very safe, and non-toxic. So, you do not have to worry about your health no matter how long you use the products.
- It is easy to use
- It comes in a strong box that you can use for storing the paints after every use.
- It dries up very fast
- Very versatile
- The lid to the tubes can hurt you if you have arthritis.
5. Best Paint for Outdoor Wood Crafts – Castle Art Supplies 24 Acrylic Paints Tubes
- MADE TO MAKE IT EASY Squeeze paint direct for bold impact or simply thin with water for details; strong tubes – no drying or cracking - in perfectly packable, slim presentation box.
- ALL YOU NEED FOR YOUR CREATIVE QUEST Foundation set of 24 artist quality hues arranged in a double row of easy-to-pick color families; an irresistible invitation to move forward as an acrylic artist.
- A JOY TO USE Delight in the sensation of laying down rich, pure pigments with brush or palette knife; quick drying so you can quickly build layers without muddying and achieve eye-catching results on paper, canvas or wood.
- BUILD YOUR SKILLS Unique fold-out tutorial enables you to get to know acrylics by re-creating the stunning Viking box lid illustration in five easy-to-follow steps.
- TESTED, TRUSTED AND GUARANTEED Tested by our studio experts to beat competitors. Trusted by ultimate judges – our 1.5 million customers worldwide; backed by unique money-back-PLUS guarantee.
The word that crops to mind when describing these actual paint tubes is “balance.”
In all of its great features, balance reigns supreme.
And due to this factor, professional painters and novice artisans can use this outdoor paint for wood crafts and end up with exceptional outcomes.
This wood stain comes in a variety of colors. Each color comes in a pliable metal vessel with plastic protection and a twelve-milliliter volume. The colors are developed, making use of Castle Art’s highly effective formula.
They also employ an oil-based technique that extends the life of the colors.
Another primary reason why many experts consider this product as one of the best paint for wood crafts is its exceptional quick-drying capability. This ability considerably increases your crafting speed, enabling you to correct mistakes while working, and provides room for experimentation.
The wood crafting product’s quick-drying function easily outperforms the competition while keeping excellent clarity. As a result, you may do your creating tasks flawlessly without jeopardizing speed.
- Very affordable
- It gives you value for your money.
- You can use it on different surfaces and get superb results
- The tubes are a bit small but durable.
6. Best Spray Paint for Wood Crafts – Rust-Oleum Specialty Metallic
- Creates a rich metallic shine on interior surfaces including wood, metal, plaster and more
- Formula contains ACTUAL metal flakes in the paint to create an ultra bright and shiny metal look
- Covers up to 12 sq ft, dries to touch in 15 minutes and recoat within an hour for quick project completion
- Leafing metallic for use on interior accent pieces only, DO not use with a clear top coat as it may dull the finish
- Bright reflective finish perfect for adding a decorative touch to picture frames, candle holders, custom holiday decorations, scrapbook projects and much more
Acrylics have a solid place in the wood carving arena. But metallic spray paint, on the other hand, is what you’ll require to breathe new life into interior decor items.
These wood crafting paints give wooden surfaces a rich, highly glossy metallic appearance. You can use the color on decor pieces to add contrast and interest. The paint is available in Gold, silver, Brass, and Copper.
Authentic metal flakes are embedded in the paint to give the appearance of new expensive metal in these dazzling, reflective coats. If you want to look like an old hand in painting, use this spray paint for wooden crafts to make your interior area more gleaming and brilliant!
It also serves as a protective layer, protecting your craft from rain, humidity, damping, and other elements. Rust-Oleum uses genuine metal shreds to ensure a genuinely professional finish.
- It doubles up as paint and a superb finishing coat
- You can use it on freshly painted wooden sculptures to give them a glossy metallic finish.
- You can use it to protect new or old statues from weather elements
- It may cover an area of up to twelve square feet.
- It gives your painted products a high level of reflection.
- You have to cover the surrounding areas and items when spraying to prevent them from getting ruined.
7. Best Paint for Unfinished Wood Crafts – Acrylic Paint Set
- PROFESSIONAL ACRYLIC PAINT SET - 12 x 12ml tubes of non-toxic artist quality acrylic paint to enjoy
- VERSATILE PAINTING KIT - for painting canvas, fabric, paper, ceramic, clay, wood, metal, nails & crafts
- LASTING VIBRANT COLOR - lay down highly pigmented matte acrylic paint colors that stay that way
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Enjoy peace of mind with our 1-year replacement guarantee
- CLICK 'ADD TO CART' NOW - Quick, grab this set of acrylic paint before the deal expires
Acrylic wooden crafts paint kits from MyArtscape are among the best in the industry. These acrylic paints are professional quality vital body acrylic paints. The wood crafting stains are richly pigmented and slither on like a dream, offering you a glossy, smooth finish that enables you to concentrate on vivid and vibrant paintings.
This product is fantastic because it is fade-proof and waterproof. It is also non-toxic, and you can use it to lighten up dark colors. Because it is highly pigmented, it can offer you crystal transparent colors.
You can use it on ceramic, metal, wood, nail art canvas, paper, fabric, clay, resin, glass, and many more.
The colors included in this kit are Blue, Burnt Sienna, Lemon Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Umber, Crimson, Pale Green, Phthalo Titanium White, Vermilion, Green, Cerulean Blue, Phthalo, and Black.
- The colors are brilliant and accurate, and the kit contains everything you need to create an exceptional painting.
- It is effortless to clean up after use.
- You get a variety of colors. You can easily mix them to create the shade you want.
- You get opaque colors with superb finishing.
- One coat is enough in most projects. So, you get reasonable value for your money.
- Though the tubes are tiny, they are reasonably priced.
8. Best Chalk Paint for All Types of Wood Crafts – FolkArt Home Decor Chalk Furniture & Craft Paint
- VERSATILE SIZE - This unique chalk black acrylic paint comes in a convenient 8 oz size and has a rich, highly pigmented formula - perfect for all your home décor projects!
- ULTRA-MATTE FINISH - When dry this versatile acrylic chalk paint has a beautiful ultra-matte finish. Requires minimal surface prep, is easy to distress, and can be layered and sanded to give you a perfect aged look and feel
- USE ON MULTIPLE SURFACES - Use this unique home décor paint on a variety of surfaces including wood, glass, metal, terra cotta, and much more
- EASY TO CLEAN UP – Clean up is easy with FolkArt Home Décor Chalk! Simply clean up any extra while wet with soap and water
- AMERICAN MADE - FolkArt Home Décor Chalk is proudly made in the USA
FolkArt Acrylic Paints make art and crafting more manageable and more enjoyable. This craft wood paint enables you to express yourself artistically, regardless of your age or background. It has a large color scheme and a rich, velvety consistency for excellent blending and shading.
This high-quality paint is available in various specialized finishes, including neon, glitter, chalk paint, enamel, multi-surface, and outdoor.
You can use any of these remarkable wood crafting paints in conjunction with FolkArt’s brushes, tools, and stencils to offer your project a new, classy design.
This reputable brand also offers various finishes, including Dragonfly Glaze, Color Shift, and Treasure Gold, to add a splash of vivid color to your projects. This acrylic paint for wooden crafts is a favorite among crafters, painters, and artists globally, and it’s a must-have in any crafter’s arsenal.
- Its price is competitive.
- Acceptable bottle size
- It is a smooth consistency. You just need two layers to make it fully opaque.
- So easy to apply
- It is non-toxic, so it is safe to use daily with no effects on your health.
- It dries up quickly. So, you finish your projects in record time.
- It’s a bit thin, but this helps to blend easily.
- It is hard to wash off- protect your clothes and surfaces.
9. Best Paint for Wood Art – Acrylic Paint Set, Shuttle Art 30
- VIBRANT ACRYLIC PAINTS: Shuttle Art 30 Acrylic Paint Set consists of 30 vibrant assorted colors and with BONUS 3 FREE PAINT BRUSHES. Each tube is filled with 12 ml (0.4 oz) paints with rich pigments that are professional artist quality.
- VERSATILE PAINTS: Paint lay down is creamy and vivid. Great for teens, beginners or artists for wide range of surfaces, such as canvas, ceramic, wood, fabric, clay, walls, nails, crafts and more. Children use acrylic paints in art class and leisure time to develop imagination skills and adults paint to relax and boost creativity, great for creating decorative art for your home.
- DURABLE PAINTS: Acrylics dry very quickly. Paint stays on surface extremely well and is durable and long lasting. It’s permanent, waterproof and fade-proof.
- HIGH QUALITY THICK PIGMENTS: When acrylic pigments are thin, artwork will appear watery and difficult to achieve vibrancy. We have developed a thick and rich pigment that provides superior coverage and maintain smoothness while painting. Conforms to ASTM-D4236, non-toxic and acid-free.
- SERVICE GUARANTEE: Your satisfaction is our top priority, please rest assured to purchase our products. If you are not satisfied with our products or have any questions, please feel free to contact us at any time.
If you are looking for an exceptional acrylic paint set to help you develop your imagination skills or relax and increase your creativity, this product is for you.
The kit contains thirty vibrant assorted colors plus three free paint brushes as a bonus. Each tube contains 12 ml (0.4 oz) of professional artist-quality paints with rich pigments.
Whether you are a teen or an adult and you like expressing yourself freely, using this said is a significant milestone in the right direction. You can use it on walls, nails, ceramic, clay, fabric, crafts, canvas, etc. This paint for wooden crafts is also superb in making decorative art for your cozy home.
This craft wood paint offers you superior coverage and remains smooth when painting.
The paint dries up pretty fast. So, It doesn’t slow you down when painting to give it ample time to dry.
- It is easy to work with
- It is durable, waterproof and fade-proof
- It is reasonably priced
- It blends smoothly
- It is also ideal for teenagers and young kids who like painting as a hobby
- It has rich, vivid, vibrant colors.
- The bottles are a bit tiny, but that makes up for it in pricing.
10. Best Water based Acrylic Paint For Wood – Magicfly 30 Colors Acrylic Paint Set
- 【Premium Artist Quality】Colors are more vibrant, thick and creamy. It glides smoothly, easily blends and dries quickly. Conforms to ASTM D4236 and EN71, safe and non-toxic for you and environment.
- 【Fantastic Acrylic Paint Set】Package includes 30 colors acrylic paint (2 fl oz/60 ml each) and 3 brushes, well-packaged in a colorful box.
- 【Wide Usage】Our acrylic paint can be brushed, stamped or stenciled, working great on canvas, paper, wood, stone, ceramic, model and more. Perfect for drawing picture, making DIY Easter eggs and creating Easter decorations.
- 【Easy Clean up】These acrylic paints are water-based. You could remove wet paint with warm water and soap before the paints dry.
- 【An Amazing Gift】Desire to satisfy your dear artist or develop your child's art creativity? This acrylic paint is absolutely your best choice to color your life!
If you want to surprise your dear artist buddy or build your child’s art creativity, purchasing this magicfly acrylic paint for them would be a wise decision. This acrylic paint set is a top choice for many professional artists and beginners. It is highly pigmented and thus produces rich and vivid colors.
The paints are non-toxic, so they are friendly to you and the environment. The colors are silky and creamy and go on different wooden surfaces smoothly, just like a dream.
You can either brush, stencil, or stamp the colors onto surfaces such as models, ceramics, stones, wood, paper, models, and canvas.
The kit contains thirty bottles of different acrylic paints. The capacity of each bottle is two fl oz or sixty ml plus three free brushes packaged in a beautiful box. The color is not messy and is effortless to clean up after every use with warm water and good quality soap.
- Since the pigments are of superior quality, the colors are more vibrant and last longer.
- Since the kit contains thirty colors, you have a lot to choose from. Better still, you can also blend, layer, or mix various colors to get the shades you want.
- It dries quickly
- The packaging box gets ripped off easily.
11. Best Paint for Wood Projects – GOTIDEAL Acrylic Paint Set
- ARTIST GRADE: Heavy Body Highest Quality Raw Materials are selected to make our Acrylic paint set. They are uniquely formulated to ensure the best quality with a fantastic consistency for easy mixing and blending. Ideal for canvas painting, these colors won’t fade over time.
- Basic Selection of Colors: Whether you’re new to acrylic painting or a seasoned artist, colors like Lemon Yellow, Phthalo Blue & Crimson Red will free your imagination.
- Safe to Use: NON-TOXIC & QUICK DRY. AP, ASTM D-4236 and EN71-3 (CE) certified. Great for creative adults, teens and kids.
- PERFECT GIFT: Adults and kids love the versatility of our acrylic painting set. Great for most surfaces including Wood,Glass, Stretched Canvas, card,plastic,Craft Foam,Ceramic,Decorative Wallpaper, Terracotta, Blackboard easel, Paper, Chalk Board And More.
- Gotideal Original, 100% SATISFACTION .
Adults, kids, professional artists, beginners, and intermediaries, adore the versatility of this acrylic painting set. You can use it on glass, wood, ceramic, wallpaper, Blackboard easel, Paper, Chalk Board, and terracotta.
The paint is non-toxic. So, you can use it daily without worrying about your health or the safety of the environment.
These paints have been specially formulated to guarantee the highest quality while also having an excellent consistency for quick mixing and blending. These colors are suitable for canvas painting because they will not fizzle over time.
- The paints are lovely and are reasonably priced for quality and quantity
- The paints have better pigmentation and a heavy body hence ideal for beginners and intermediaries.
- The paints have excellent texture, and they also mix and blend well
- The colors are as they appear in the photo.
- The kit contains twelve colors. So you have many options in selecting the colors that inspire you.
- Since the colors are of better quality, you get value for your money.
- The caps are fragile and rip off easily. You have to be gentle when opening and closing the paints.
12. Best Airbrush Paints For Wood Crafts – Mont Marte Signature Acrylic Color Paint Set
- Dries to a semi-matte finish
- Good coverage and a creamy texture
- Fast drying time allows you to layer paint quickly without muddying your colors
- Suitable for most surfaces including canvas, wood, air-dried clay, plaster, cardboard, paper and some plastics
- This value pack includes 12 colors in 500ml bottles: Titanium White, Black, Lemon Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Umber, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Brilliant Red, Burnt Sienna, Orange, Turquoise and Sap Green.
Artists of all experience levels like using this craft wood paint as it helps them bring out their emotions regardless of their age. This product offers excellent coverage and a silky texture to your items, making them appealing to the eyes. It dries to a semi-matte finish appearance.
Because of the quick drying time, you can layer paint for wooden crafts swiftly without tainting your colors. You can use it on several surfaces, including plaster, cardboard, paper, canvas, wood, air-dried clay, and plastics.
The colors included in this kit are,
Cerulean Blue, Red, Burnt Sienna, Orange, Ultramarine Blue, Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Umber, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Brilliant, Turquoise and Sap Green. Each bottle contains 500 ml of paints.
This acrylic paint set is suitable for a variety of surfaces. So, it is a superb choice for all your art and craft projects. With so many colors at your disposal, it’s effortless to get creative.
- Works exceptionally well on wooden surfaces
- The paints are cost-effective and give you lovely colors
- The paints are highly affordable given the size of the tubes
- The paint is smooth and richly pigmented.
- The paints give you the authentic color of metallic gold.
- Some tubes get damaged during transportation and can start leaking before reaching home
13. Best Multi-Purpose – Sax True Flow Heavy Body Acrylic Paint Set
- Improved formula allows better layering and intermixing with other True Flow paints
- Create masterful art pieces with high quality paint
- Provides optimal supplies for your personal or classroom work
- Offers excellent flow, coverage, blending, and drying
- Designed with convenient washable materials
Given the right opportunities, interested people can learn to be innovative, creative, and inspirational. Art education influences your life by allowing you to express yourself freely and build crucial life skills.
This product gives you the tools you need to help you in your artistic journey. The paint flows smoothly whether on canvas, silkscreen, paper, fabric, etc. This craft paint for wood empowers your mind to think innovatively to create masterpieces.
The quality of these paints will blow you away. And the good news is that you can purchase these paints in half-gallon sizes for less than twenty dollars.
The paints are ideal for students and children of all ages and love painting as a hobby.
- When used for acrylic pouring, the colors come out super
- The paints are lovely and super thick, therefore appropriate for palette knives.
- Easy to work with and blends well
- Though the paints are heavy-bodied, it is smooth and easy to mix
- The kit has 12 colors, so you have already had most of the colors you need without struggling to mix them
- Getting all the paint out of the tube is a challenge.
Best Paint for Wood Crafts Comparison Table
Factors to Consider When Buying Wood Craft Paints
When it comes to picking a good paint for wood crafts, you have to know the exact characteristics you’re looking for in paint to help you pick the one best suited for your projects.
Even so, here’s what to look for in paint before buying.
1. Fast Dry Technology
Before buying acrylic paint, consider the time it takes to dry. When the outer layer of acrylic paint dries quicker than the bottom layer, cracks appear.
As the underneath layer dries, it pulls on the mid- hardened skin on top, causing a crack to form if the force is too great.
Newly developed cracks will keep growing in size until the paint for wooden crafts has completely dried. You can use mediums to slow down the process and avoid gaps.
2. Pigment Quality
Paint can either have prime pigments or extender pigments. Excellent pigments are responsible for color and hide in paint. Extender pigments have little to do with the richness of color in paint.
Beyond color and beauty, the quality of pigments in a paint affects its performance. The quality and type of prime pigments used in the base coat impact the coating’s performance in sheen, fading, durability, and hide.
Pigments determine the quality of paints. High-quality paints
have more prime stains that make the color easy to apply. They also make the paint fade-resistant and ensure the pigment stays for long before peeling off. Always strive to buy high-quality thick paints as they save you money and time in the long run.
3. Depth and Consistency Texture
Artists use texture to increase balance, interest, or depth to various parts of their artwork to make a piece look more realistic. So buy a paint that gives you texture continually.
4. Range of Opacity
Buying paints with a variety of opacities is a great idea.
You can determine the opacity range by reading the labels on the paints.
A square mark, in most cases, displays the opacity of a particular paint. You can rely on that information to determine how broad best paint for wooden crafts set’s opacity range is.
We advise purchasing a set that includes opaque, semi-opaque, and transparent paints. This will allow you to create many distinct unique and creative shades that enhance the distinctive styling of your woodworking.
5. Absorption Capacity
The wood surface has pores. That is, liquids can permeate through the wooden surface. To certify that you’re choosing the best paint for wood craft projects, go for a color with a balanced absorption capability.
The paints will evaporate from the exterior if you go too high. If you go too low, the colors will not be absorbed appropriately, leading to issues such as un uniform structure.
Your safety is paramount no matter what you are doing. So, when you are handling paints, put on gloves and protect your eyes with goggles.
A good paint for wood crafts should adhere to ASTM D-4236 (USA standard). For European standards, keep an eye out for EN 71-3:2019. Make sure the coating paints are BPA-free if the paints are packed in plastic containers.
You get this info on the package labels. In case you are buying online, pay attention to product description pages.
7. Protection Features
Buy a paint that is professionally packaged in a durable flexible metal container based on the quantity of the color. The caps should not be fragile to prevent them from breaking down even with minimal force.
Close the lid securely after every use to stop oxidation. Keep the paint away from direct sunlight and not drop the paint to avoid breaking down the container resulting in paint leakage.
The paint should always stay protected from dust, sand, and wind, and the container should offer it this hassle-free.
8. Ease of Organization
Ascertain that the box has a simple organization system. You achieve this by purchasing paints in packages with defined sections to arrange the tubes after every use.
This helps you not to misplace any paint, and you also look organized. In addition, ensure that the paints are well labeled and the container has a pleasant design.
9. Color Choice
Color is almost everything to a painter, whether a novice or an expert.
If you just dipped your big toe into the painting waters, buy a set with a wide array of colors.
This will help you express yourself freely as you’ll have a lot of colors to choose from. Also, you may not have mastered the art of mixing different colors to get the shades you want.
It can be frustrating when you want to use a particular color. Still, you can’t quite get it even after going through the trouble of blending paints.
However, suppose you are an old hand in painting. In that case, you can buy a few premium colors and roll with them because you understand the nitty-gritty details about paintings and arts. You know how to get the colors you want by blending the ones you already have.
What Kind Of Paint To Use On Wood Crafts
Wood is one of the most challenging surfaces to paint. And if you fail to choose the best type of paint for wood crafts, you could end up with a big mess.
So, what type of paint for wood crafts should you use?
Chalk paint is an adorning paint famous for its ultra-matte finish combined with chalky looks. Chalk paint is a preferred choice for providing wooden furniture and your home decor a rough, timeless, or dingy chic-style appearance.
This paint is suitable for those people who need to put character and ageless charm to their beautiful homes as you can easily distress it.
Aside from its matte finish, chalk paint is different from conventional paint in that you do not need any preparation. You paint directly on almost every dry wooden surface apart from metal.
This paint goes on smoothly and does not drip, unlike standard paints. Since it is water-based, it is effortless to clean brushes with just water and ordinary soap. And you can also seal chalk paint with poly to protect the furniture against moisture and scratches.
Pre-primed, Adhesives- Inducers and Topcoat Paints
Ordinarily, these are paints that do not need a primer. They enhance the adhesiveness of old paintwork. They are furnished with elements that will not necessitate a protective finish after the major crafting is completed.
Acrylic, spray-on, chalk, and metal-flake paints are all options. They can save you loads of time and energy, letting you complete tasks faster and with little effort.
Outdoor Paint for Wood Crafts
Outdoor specialized paints are oil-based paints or oil-based acrylic paints.
Quality exterior paints are designed to offer a great look that will last for a long time.
They may adhere effectively and withstand the elements well. You can expect the following benefits from high-quality, specialized outdoor paints.
- Better concealment for increased coverage hence saving time and material.
- Improved dirt resistance, so the paint does not pick up and retain airborne trash.
- Improved chalking resistance, allowing the finish to last longer
- Improved shimmer and color retention for keeping the “new” look for longer
- improved mildew resistance
Oil-based paint is preferable for exterior use. It contains alkyd, which is suitable for resisting grime and dealing with temperature and humidity changes.
Oil-based paints are prepared with additives that increase their longevity, making them ideal for exterior painting.
Spray paints are just liquid paints held in an aerosol can. The can have a nice button on the top that distributes paint when pressed down
Making use of spray paint is a different style of painting from conventional brushwork.
Spray paints come in various textures and finishes, such as ultra-matte finish and high-heat colors for cooking devices.
Using spray paints enables you to cover huge areas faster and more uniformly than conventional paint. It is an excellent method of touching up or applying a new coat on different projects. Based on the type of spray you choose, you might need to put a primer to your area before applying spray paint.
Metal Flakes Paints
Metallic paint, also referred to as polychromatic paint, is a form of color mainly used on new cars. Still, you can also use it on outdoor wooden furniture, plastics, light fixtures, valve covers, and hardware. The microscopic metal flakes in the paint create a shimmering look that resembles a metal when you view it up close.
Many specialists think it’s a fantastic woodworking option. The paints have a premium quality pigments concentration, adhere well to wooden surfaces. Also, they have a high level of lightfastness, which extends the life of the painted premium quality raw materials.
These paints are more expensive than standard paints.
Regular Acrylic Paints
Acrylic is ideal for crafts, collage, and mixed media work due to its flexibility, durability, adhesive qualities, and minimal toxicity. However, because there are certain quality and composition differences between craft and artist acrylic, artist quality paint is superb for artwork.
Recommended Reading: What kind of paint to use on wood?
How To Seal Acrylic Paint on Wood
Acrylic paints are popular among artists for a reason. They are easy to clean after every use, simple to use, less expensive, and, and above all, super friendly to the environment and you.
So you can use them as long as you need without worrying about their effects on your health. Even though acrylics are popular, especially for painting on canvas or paper, applying them on wood is still a foreign concept for many people.
You might be among those who are perplexed about whether you can use acrylic paints on wood or not. So, if you wonder how you can seal acrylic paint on wooden furniture, here’s how you do it. (More on that later). First off, let’s see why you need to seal it.
Why Seal the Acrylics Paints Onto Wood
Sealants have a great way of protecting your acrylic paint from chipping and offer the painted surfaces undeniable beauty. They can change the finish of the painted area or materials to satin, matte, glossy, or semi-glossy based on what you like.
Do you see? Sealers are very crucial when staining your pine with acrylic paints. It is not a must in some cases, but if you want your painted wood furniture to look splendid and last long, you should try your best and seal it properly.
Apart from enhancing the durability and appearance of your wooden furniture, you seal the wood furniture to cover its pores before applying the natural paint. Sealers build a boundary that stops the substrate from getting in touch with the medium.
This prevents your acrylic paint from reaching the core of the wood.
Failure to seal can cause the paint to crack or peel off.
How to Paint Wood Crafts
Materials for Painting Wood Crafts
- 140-180-220 grit sandpapers
- Acrylic paints
- Paintbrushes, rollers, or sponges
- Microfiber/tack cloth
Step: 1 Sand Down the Wood
Sand the wood with medium-grit sandpaper following the direction of the grain to make the surface smooth.
Step 2: Wipe Away the debris.
Use the microfiber clothing or tack cloth to wipe away the soot and debris or gentle brush strokes. A slight dampening of your cloth collects all of the particles. Leave room for the area to dry.
Step 3: Apply Wood Sealant
Apply the wood sealant of your choice. Ensure it covers the entire surface, edges, and all the sections you need to paint.
Begin with the first coat and let it dry completely according to the manufacturer’s instructions. For increased protection, put another layer and leave it for twenty-four hours to dry.
Step 4: Prime the Wood
You need a primer and a sealer. Sometimes primers come as 2 in 1, meaning it contains a sealer. In that case, you skip this step.
Primers help the paint to adhere better. You can use a spray or brush strokes on the primer.
Step 5: Start Painting
Begin by painting the wood with your favorite acrylic paints.
Use two or more coats, allowing for drying time in between. After the first layer has dried, lightly squish it to improve adhesion to the following layer.
Allow the paint to cure, which can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days, based on the weather and humidity of your locality.
Step 6: Seal the Wood
The acrylic paint is now dry and ready to receive the sealer. Start by wiping the painted area to remove accumulated dust to avoid having it trapped under your sealer with some brush strokes.
To keep the color radiance, use a transparent sealant. For huge flat areas such as wood panels, spray the adhesive or apply it with a brush or roller to save on time.
Use a sponge to get to the hard-to-reach surfaces. Use quality brushes that do not have bristles coming off. They will remain stuck in the sealant forever, and you need the final finish to be perfect.
FAQS on What Paint to use on Wood Crafts
How Do You Paint Wood Crafts?
Because wood is porous, painting it is not that easy. To ensure that you get what you need, you must know the paint and the wood you are painting.
To paint your wood crafts, sand them down, wipe off debris, prime the area, apply the paint and then seal it with a transparent sealer.
Should I Prime Before Painting Wood?
Yes. You should. Priming helps to create a welcoming surface for your paint. It also helps the paint adhere better to an area to last for a long.
Can You Paint Acrylic Directly on Wood?
Yes, you can, depending on the type of wood you are working on. However, if you need the wood to look beautiful and protect it from elements, sealing it is a great idea. Additionally, acrylic paints dry quickly on wood.
How Do I Protect A Newly Painted Surface?
You protect a newly painted area by sealing it either with high-quality water-based sealers or oil-based sealers. Sealers protect the area from scratching and from elements, enhancing the durability and color retention of a surface.
Is Craft Paint and Acrylic Paint Same?
Yes, but there are minor differences. Acrylic paint has a better pigment density, resulting in more affluent, more vivid colors.
Craft paint is easier to use as it does not leave streaks and is much easier to remove from surfaces and brushes. The cost of acrylic paint is higher than that of craft paint.
Best paint for wood crafts
Acrylic paints are the best paints to use for wood crafts. Acrylic paints are highly versatile and can be used for a variety of effects. You can use them to create a glossy finish or a matte finish on your wood crafts. You can also use them to create different textures on your wood surfaces. If you’re looking for a paint that will give you a lot of control over your final product, then acrylics are definitely worth considering.
Final Thoughts on What Paint is Best for Wood Crafts
The best paint to use on wood crafts should be easy to apply, affordable, durable, and its quality should be second to none. It should let you express yourself artistically without any limitations.
We’ve taken you through our top thirteen picks above.
Still not sure which option is best for you? Please read our buyer’s guide for a breakdown of all the features you should look for to help you pick the best paint for wood crafts projects.
Our favorite pick is Apple Barrel PROMOABI Acrylic Paint. It is non-toxic, affordable, you get vibrant colors, and is easy to apply. Though it does not do well if you need strong opacity, it is still a great paint and you just get creative with it to get the opacity you need.