Redwood is a high-quality building material. It contains natural chemicals that make it naturally resistant to weather, insects, and rot. You can use it for your decks and wood fences, among other outdoor projects.
However, no matter how weather or insect-resistant redwood is, you still need to seal it to fortify it against elements and enhance its durability. If you are looking for the best redwood sealer for deck & fence, you are at the right place.
Our Top Picks
Best Redwood Sealer
- Ready Seal 520 Exterior Stain and Sealer – (Best Redwood Stain and Sealer)
- Roxil Wood Protection Cream – (Best Redwood Deck Stain & Sealer)
- Hope’s Pure Tung Oil Sealer – (Best Redwood Fence Sealer)
- TotalBoat Clear Penetrating Epoxy Wood – Best Wood Stain for Redwood
- Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-8002 – Best Redwood Fence Stain Sealer
- KILZ L832111 Exterior Waterproofing – Best Sealer for UV Protection
- THOMPSONS WATERSEAL TH.041821-16 – Best Sealer for Redwood Deck
- SEAL-ONCE MARINE – 1 – Best Semi-Transparent Stain for Redwood
- 100% Pure Tung Oil Finish Wood Stain – Best Clear Sealer for Redwood Deck
- Olympic Stain – Best All-Weather Exterior Stain and Sealer
Best Redwood Deck Sealer Reviews
To come up with this redwood deck stain and sealer review, we considered types of deck stains, coverage, climates, budget, opacity, and redwood types.
You’ll also find exterior wood sealers made of all-natural ingredients.
1. Best Redwood Stain and Sealer – Ready Seal 520 Exterior Stain and Sealer
- Requires no primer. Ready Seal is darkest when first applied. It reaches its true color in approximately 14 days. Do not apply Ready Seal over painted or newly stained surfaces. Sealed surfaces inhibit penetration.
- May be applied using sprayer, roller or brush onto the woods surface.
- Requires no back brushing and will never leave runs, laps, or streaks.
- Requires no wet-line application, the product will blend itself and can be applied in any temperature range for proper application.
- Requires no diluting or thinning prior to spray applications.
Ready Seal is a leading manufacturer of exterior stains and sealers for wood. It has released a new sealer (Ready seal 520), giving the competitors a run for their money.
This deck sealer enhances the natural beauty of the wood by making the wood grain conspicuous. You can use it on pressure-treated lumber and redwood color restoration.
This oil-based stain is distinguished by the fact that it does not require any primer. It will be dark when you apply it initially but lightens to its actual color after about fourteen days.
Please do not apply this stain to freshly painted surfaces as the sealed surfaces prevent penetration into the wood. The ready seal 520 is one of the best semi-transparent oil-based stains that doubles up as a stain and sealer.
It saves you money and time since you do not have to buy a sealer. It is easy to apply with a sprayer, roller, or a high-quality brush and does not need a wet line application.
The product does not require back brushing and does not leave runs, imperfections, or laps. The formulation is suitable for almost all exterior wood projects and will work even on dry wood.
It deeply penetrates the redwood and offers maximum protection from harmful UV rays, mold, and mildew.
What We Liked Most
- It’s a ready-to-use formula- no diluting or thinning is needed
- You can apply it at any temperature range and get pro results
- The drying time is only 2 to 3 days
What Could Be Improved
- You can’t use it on newly painted surfaces
2. Best Redwood Deck Stain & Sealer – Roxil Wood Protection Cream
- ✅ Weatherproofs wood for 10 years - Shower-proof application - Instantly Waterproofs
- ✅ Reduces water uptake for improved resistance to warping and cracking
- ✅ Breathable, Colourless Protection - Creates an invisible waterproof barrier that protects the wood.
- ✅ One coat application by brush or roller, no drip formulation. Effective on softwoods and weathered hardwoods.
- ✅ Roxil Wood Protection Cream will cover approximately 130 to 200 sq. ft. per gallon
Roxil Wood Protection Cream is an excellent silicone cream emulsion that will protect wood for ten years or more with only one coat application.
It shields the wood from the damaging effects of water, which can cause deterioration, warping, and moss growth. It has super water-resistant qualities, thus reducing moisture infiltration, reducing the expansion that causes wood to warp.
The enhanced structural stability has the potential to extend the life of the wood. The colorless cream formula will penetrate the wood and defend it from elements when applied with a brush or roller.
This outdoor furniture sealer protects your fences, decking, railings, sheds, furniture, and other outdoor structures from the elements without altering their appearance. One gallon covers approximately 130 to 200 sq. ft.
The cream formula also enables quick, and error-free application with no spatter or runoff on vertical or horizontal wood surfaces—thoroughly pressure wash treatment areas with a biocidal wood cleaner.
For exposed surfaces, consider a pre-treatment application of the appropriate wood decay treatment. The water will bead right off the surface when it rains, and you’ll rest assured that the sealer is working as it should.
You can use it on the redwood fence and gate. Just one coat is sufficient to give you good results, but you can apply more coats if you want.
You’ll love how it looks in the rain. It’s nice that it won’t dry with a sparkle to it, as this causes it to be more resistant to harmful UV rays.
What We Liked Most
- It’s durable
- It waterproofs the wood to protect it from water and sun, therefore, prolonging the life of the wood
- It’s mildew resistant
- It doesn’t change the colour of the wood
- It’s easy to apply
What Could Be Improved
- It won’t dry with a shine to it
3. Best Redwood Fence Sealer – Hope’s Pure Tung Oil Sealer
- Easy to Use - Tung oil is a natural oil recognized by craftsmen to offer the ultimate hand-rubbed finish for all fine woods; just wipe on and allow the oil to cure at room temperature
- Permeates - Unlike other finishes that form a film on the wood’s surface, tung oil penetrates deep into the wood fibers, cures to a flexible non-oily solid, and becomes part of the wood itself
- Protects - Resistant to moisture, alcohol, oil, and everyday wear for lasting beauty and protection; lasts many times longer than mineral oil and wax based products
- Multi Use - Amazing results on almost any surface that will allow the oil to penetrate - new unfinished wood, weathered wood, stripped wood, concrete floors and countertops, even brick, stone, and cast iron
- Great for Food Contact Surfaces - Since tung oil is considered non-toxic when dry, it is great for cutting boards, butcher blocks, countertops, wooden bowls, wooden utensils, and more
Hope’s Tung Oil is an easy-to-apply natural wood finish and sealer that woodworkers acknowledge for providing the ultimate hand-rubbed finish for smooth woods.
It excels in protecting your fence from moisture damage. Simply wipe on and let the oil cure at room temperature. Tung oil soaks into the wood fibers, cures to a versatile non-oily solid, and becomes a piece of the wood. This qualifies it as the best redwood fence stain and sealer.
It protects the wood since it’s resistant to water, alcohol, oil, and daily wear and tear for lasting beauty and superb mildew protection.
The product lasts a couple of years longer than other wax-based and mineral oil products available in the market.
The good thing is that you can use it on most surfaces, such as redwood furniture, wood deck, and other surfaces that let the oil penetrate.
Additionally, it does wonders on concrete floors, weathered wood, stripped wood, stone, brick, countertops, cast iron, and on unfinished wood.
Because tung oil is non-poisonous when dry, it is ideal for cutting boards, butcher blocks, countertops, wooden bowls, wooden utensils, and other food-contact surfaces.
You do not need to sand the surface before applying the product, and you won’t struggle with ugly brush marks, runs, or flaws. It rubs in just like oil and dries hard to form an excellent varnish.
What We Liked Most
- You can use it on several surfaces
- It’s non-toxic when dry so, it won’t pose any danger to the environment, pets, and humans
- It’s durable
What Could Be Improved
- You can only use it on bare woods or on areas where the previous stain has been removed
4. Best Wood Stain for Redwood – TotalBoat Clear Penetrating Epoxy Wood
- WOOD HARDENER FOR ROTTED WOOD: two-part epoxy system seals, hardens, preserves, and protects all types of wood by stopping rot. Makes finishes like paint and varnish stick better and last longer. Easy to use treatment has no VOCs or harsh fumes
- PENETRATING WOOD SEALER: An ideal dry rot treatment; this marine-grade epoxy resin is perfect for wooden boat restoration, wood repairs, and woodworking projects. Seal bare or new wood to protect against damage
- CLEAR LOW VISCOSITY RESIN WITH MANY USES: Use on all softwoods, including cedar, cypress, fir, pine and redwood. Use on all hardwoods, including ipe, mahogany, maple, oak, and teak. Use on butcher block, live edge slabs, particle board, plywood, and OSB
- WOOD ROT REPAIR EPOXY AVAILABLE IN TWO FORMULAS: Choose regular formula Penetrating Epoxy for 65-90 degrees F temps; Choose Cold Weather Penetrating Epoxy for 40-65 degrees F temps (Do not use Cold Weather formula above 65 F)
- CHOOSE THE RIGHT EPOXY KIT SIZE FOR YOUR PROJECT: Both formulas are available in Pint, Quart, Half-Gallon, and Gallon sizes. Simple 2 parts resin to 1 part hardener mix ratio for reliable results every time. Easy cleanup with soap and water
If you’re handling rotted wood on a boat, home, or RV, you know that it’s not always practical or even possible to remove and replace the rotted wood.
The suitable solution is to use an adhesive that permeates the wood and prevents further rot. This two-part, low-viscosity formula permeates the wood deeply to halt active decay by bonding the surrounding wood to the rotten wood and solidifying it.
Its slower cure rate allows the epoxy to be thoroughly saturated. It also seals, preserves, and protects hard and softwoods against mold, mildew, and salt damage—all without the upsetting odor or fumes associated with other epoxies.
Let’s face it. You can inhibit rot, but you can’t predict the weather. That’s where this penetrating wood sealer comes in handy.
The clear penetrating epoxy sealer is available in two formulations that guarantee professional results in a broad range of temperatures.
You can pick a formula based on the current weather conditions. The traditional formula ranges from 65 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit, while the cold weather formula ranges from 40 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
The handy kits are available in four sizes, allowing you to buy what you need, reduce waste, and save money.
What We Liked Most
- You can buy the appropriate size for your project to avoid wastage
- It’s 100 percent waterproof when cured
- You can use it on both hardwood and softwood
- You can use it bare and new wood
What Could Be Improved
- Some people feel that it’s pricey
5. Best Redwood Fence Stain Sealer – Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-8002
- PREMIUM WOOD SEALER: Protect, restore, and extend the life of your home with Rainguard Water Sealers Wood Sealer! Formulated to penetrate deep into the surface, Wood Sealer is a water-based silane/siloxane water repellent that helps inhibit moisture damage. This premium-grade water sealer for wood is safe to use indoors or outdoors. It dries to an invisible stain resistant finish that won't yellow or alter surface texture or appearance.
- LONG LASTING PROTECTION: Engineered with Micro-Lok! This proprietary ingredient ensures sealer absorption and creates a long-lasting filmless hydrophobic barrier against weathering, salt, dirt, freezing temperatures, UV light, wind-driven rain, and other damaging elements. Rainguard Wood Sealer is the ideal weatherproof sealant for all non-treated and unpainted wood surfaces including, wooden floors, decks, walkways, outdoor furniture, and fences.
- CONCENTRATED FORMULATION: Cost-effective, concentrated sealing solutions! Rainguard Water Sealers Wood Sealer Concentrate offers the best value and simple mixing. Pour the quart of concentrate into a 5-gallon pail and add clean water to the 2-gallon mark. Mix lightly to disperse the material. Two gallons of this impregnating wood waterproofer coats, seals, and protects up to 400 square feet. Try Rainguard Water Sealers' ready-to-use formulations for ease and convenience.
- EASY APPLICATION: Seamlessly seal wood surfaces! Prior to applying Rainguard Wood Sealer, protect anything you don't want to be sealed by moving or covering with a tarp. Prep surface by gently removing any stains with a mild soap or Restore-N-Prep (sold separately) for best results. Using a hand-pump garden sprayer, apply at least two heavy coats of sealer to the surface, allowing it to dry to the touch between coats. Clean up any overspray with a clean damp cloth.
- RAIN GUARD: Where innovation meets sustainability! Since 1969, Rainguard Water Sealers has been manufacturing architectural and industrial coatings designed to “wrap” the exterior of buildings and structures. Rainguard now brings this same technology to consumers in our ready-to-use and concentrated DIY formulations, providing a variety of high-performance sealers for your home. Eco-friendly and non-toxic, all our waterproofing solutions are safe to use around people, pets, and plants.
This product does not change the appearance of the surface, does not leave a surface film, and aids in preventing efflorescence. It contains sophisticated UV stabilizers to ensure durable, non-yellowing performance.
The formula is easy to mix and will give you the best value for money. Above all, the sealer is fit for the environment, and once you apply the product, you do not have to maintain it.
The sealer protects, restores, and extends the life of your wood. You can use it on unpainted, interior, exterior, vertical, and horizontal surfaces.
It dries clear with an unnoticed natural finish and does not change the appearance of the surface. This deck sealer does not leave residue. The product is safe for pets, people, and crops.
The product is different from the rest. Its primary ingredient, called MICRO-LOK, forms a mechanical bond offering you a hydrophobic barrier that will not give in to weathering, salt, dirt, ice temperatures, UV rays, and wind-driven rain.
Simply use standard soap and water for a simple clean-up.
What We Liked Most
- It is a tough, long-lasting finish that will not turn yellow
- It will help to stop thaw damage
- It Safeguards against wind-driven rain
- It aids in preventing efflorescence, mold, and mildew
What Could Be Improved
- You may use several coats, but you’ll be satisfied with the results
6. Best Redwood Sealer for UV Protection – KILZ L832111 Exterior Waterproofing
KILZ L832211 Exterior Waterproofing Wood Stain has a solution to improve the appearance of your home. The stain offers long-lasting waterproof protection for all redwood materials.
It has a mildew-resistant finish to keep the integrity and beauty of your wood in varying outdoor conditions.
The application necessitates two coatings, with one gallon covering up to 250 square feet for the first coat and about 500 square feet for the second.
Aside from being the best redwood fence sealer, you can use Kilz L832211on decks, siding, and other surfaces. You can apply a wood brightener before putting the sealer on the wood’s surface for best results.
This penetrating stain is an acrylic formula that safeguards wood from extreme weather and UV damage. For best results, let the surface dry for two days before applying a topcoat.
That way, you’ll ensure wood longevity that’s also backed by a valid warranty of three years on decks five years on your fences and redwood siding.
The product is best suited for use on freshly prepared to mildly weathered surfaces. You can use unsealed exterior wood surfaces as well. Apply it using a top-quality paint pad, a paint sprayer, or a brush.
What We Liked Most
- You can use it on multiple surfaces
- It’s simple to clean with soap and water
- It’s easy to apply
- It has exceptional coverage
What Could Be Improved
- It takes longer to dry
7. Best redwood deck sealer – THOMPSONS WATERSEAL TH.041821-16
- Color: Maple Brown
- Wood sealer and stain, all in one
- Prevents water damage
- Use on decks and fences, outdoor furniture, exterior wood
THOMPSONS has been developing the supreme formula to safeguard buildings from water damage since the 1920s. They have developed a new transparent waterproofing stain ( this product) that offers complete outdoor wood protection.
It is the best deck stain recommended for most wood species. You can use it for almost all your outdoor wood projects and restore redwood’s natural beauty.
The product has a unique formulation that allows it to be waterproof for prolonged periods after the first water beading.
Aside from being highly transparent, the 041851-16 is available in various colors: woodland cedar, acorn brown, harvest gold, maple brown, and sequoia red.
The sealer is also combined with advanced polymers that offer a fade-resistant color to extend its usage. Furthermore, the last coating of the sealer resists mildew and Uv damage.
The Thompson sealer is easy to apply, and you can use it on freshly cleaned damp wood. Clean the wood with a pressure washer if need be. Use the stain on an outdoor picnic table. You’ll love how it will turn out.
Note that this is only intended to be a single coat stain. When you apply more than one coat, the color becomes much more reddish. It will last because the water beads when it rains, making it stay in good condition for a while.
It surpasses the ASTM D-4446 industrial standard for waterproofing wood. The sealer contains advanced polymers that offer fade-resistant color. It excellently resists mild and Uv rays damage.
What We Liked Most
- It protects against water damage
- The sealer is available in various colors
- It dries in out in record time
What Could Be Improved
- The sealer completely waterproofs after the initial water beading has disappeared
8. Best Semi-Transparent Stain for Redwood – SEAL-ONCE MARINE – 1
- MARINE SEALANT: Our liquid formula creates a UV-stable coating for protection against the elements, saltwater spray, and water damage. Marine is a great protector for outdoor furniture, thermally modified wood, and boat docks.
- DECK STAIN: It's water-based, ultra-low VOC, great for enhancing the extended life of your flooring, siding, and porch. The paint forms a water-resistant shield around wood fibers at the cellular level to help preserve the natural color.
- WATERPROOF WOOD SEALER: The wood used on boat docks, decks, and retaining walls near rivers, lakes, oceans, and ponds is subjected to constant moisture. We crafted a sealer, remove stain, and finish all in one, specifically for these installations.
- WOOD SEALANT: Our fast-drying protector penetrates wood below the surface, coating the wood fibers at the cellular level, which creates a long-lasting, flexible, breathable barrier. It provides a no-fuss, easy clean-up with soap and water.
- SEAL-ONCE: Our user-friendly wood sealers and stains are an effective way to protect your lumber or concrete against water damage. When you use Seal-Once, you have the satisfaction of knowing our products will not harm pets, plants, or people.
You can use Marine deck stain in temperatures ranging from 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Some deck stains suggest applying them only when the temperature is above 50 degrees Fahrenheit, but SEAL-ONCE is not one of them.
The marine-type deck stain protects against water damage in places with high humidity levels near fresh or saltwater.
SEAL-ONCE Deck stain forms a breathable barrier that improves the appearance of the wood while also protecting it. You can apply it with a brush, roller, or sprayer to form a non-poisonous defensive coating safe for pets, humans, and plants.
The product is also low in volatile organic compounds (VOCs), making it an environmentally friendly option.
MARINE provides excellent, long-lasting protection against water damage and decay in these locations, therefore enhancing and extending the life of boat docks, piers, retaining walls, decks, and other outdoor furniture.
Marine provides excellent, long-lasting protection against water damage and decay, thus enhancing and extending the life of boat docks, piers, retaining walls, decks, and other outdoor furniture.
The acrylic-based stain is a clear toner that also comes in a variety of appealing wood tones. A gallon will cover 350 square feet.
What We Liked Most
- It’s a non-toxic formula. So, it’s friendly to pets, the environment, and humans
- It comes in various hues, so you can easily find the one ideal for your project
- You can use it on different surfaces
- It’s easy to apply even if you are not a pro
What Could Be Improved
- You can’t use it under direct sunlight
9. Best clear sealer for redwood Fence & deck – 100% Pure Tung Oil Finish Wood Stain
- GET A WARM, RICH FINISH. 100% Pure Tung Oil Finisher adds depth for an antique-style finish. Creates a hand-rubbed look on wood surfaces.
- NO ADDITIVES, SOLVENTS OR VARNISHES. Pure tung oil adds depth without using solvents or additives. Gives the surface a rich, almost wet look.
- DRIES FASTER THAN OTHER OILS. Compared to linseed, soy, and walnut oils, tung oil finish dries fast for remarkable turn-around time.
- FORMS A MOISTURE-RESISTANT BARRIER. Tung oil keeps alcohol, grease, food oil, acid, and water from ruining the surface.
- FINISH NEARLY ANY SURFACE. Use tung oil for wood, concrete, brick, and stone. Works on pine, oak, cedar, cherry wood, cedar, and other wood surfaces.
Pure Tung Oil Finish is all you need if you require a sealer to protect your redwood or make a perfect, natural finish on intricate wood surfaces.
The waterproofing stain differs from others in that it makes your redwood surfaces sparkle and feel natural even without a second coat of sealant. As a result, it’s unsurprising that it comes in portable packaging compared to others.
The sealant provides a rich, glossy appearance to your redwood decks. It’s the best redwood clear sealer for improving grip and resisting moisture. Apply Pure Tung oil with a high-quality brush for fast and more straightforward application.
This product requires no skills to use. So, you can use it even if you are an amateur.
The oil penetrates wood fibers without leaving the annoying white residue, unlike other stains that use additives to hasten drying time.
The more good news is that it contains no toxic materials such as silicone, paraffin, or petroleum distillates.
The Pure Tung Oil Finish works its miracles in a single application, making your surface shine while keeping moisture at bay. When it rains or snows, the droplets will float on the surface or drain away.
What We Liked Most
- It is available in four different colors
- When applied, it emits a faint odor
- It is effective on softwoods
- It dries uniformly and without running when applied using a small spray tip
- It is simple to use even if you have no prior experience
- Because of its high waterproofing abilities, it is excellent for use in the outdoors
What Could Be Improved
- Imperfections in the wood surface may show through the sealer; thoroughly clean the wood
10. Best All-Weather Exterior Stain and Sealer – Olympic Stain
- Enhanced waterproofing protection to help make sure your wood is protected from cracking due to water
- 1 Quart
- delivers enhanced waterproofing and sunblock UV defense
- Item Package Weight: 2.59 pounds
You could give your new wood the protection it deserves with Olympic’s stain sealers. This wood stain and waterproofing sealer makes wood strong and beautiful for years to come.
With its weather-ready application, Olympic stain is specifically formulated to allow you to stain your wood deck on your designated day without relying on the prevailing weather conditions.
Since it’s a penetrating stain, it will be absorbed deeper into the wood fibers to protect your wood decks from harsh elements.
One gallon covers 250-350 sq ft – that means this wood stain is adequate for a small or a medium wood deck.
Not only that, being the best stain for redwood furniture, you can also use it for staining and selling your outdoor furniture.
What We Liked Most About this Wood sealer and stain
- Penetrating sealer
- Pretty fast drying time
- Works on any wood surface
Best Sealer for Redwood Comparison Table
Education: Factors to Consider When Buying Redwood Sealer
You do not hop in your local hardware and grab any sealer for your wood decks and fences. You’ve to consider a few essential factors before settling on any product.
You can only stain or paint your deck or fence. Painting-vs- staining is a fine line to tread. Though these products appear similar, they’ve minor differences.
Stain can be a solid stain, transparent or semi-transparent. Transparent and semi-transparent seals the wood while letting the wood grain shine through.
Paint, on the other hand, waterproofs the wood but conceals the natural beauty of wood. Both products repel water and, depending on the manufacturer, frequently incorporate UV blockers and mildewcide to safeguard mold and mildew growth.
Consider the factors below to help you pick the best sealer for redwood fence and deck.
Is the Product ideal for Indoor or Outdoor Use
When buying a redwood sealer, consider whether you need to use it indoors or outdoor. If you want to use the sealer indoors, buy the one that’ll dry fast to cut drying time and get better results.
Get an eco-friendly one to ensure the safety of pets and kids. If you want to buy a sealer for outdoor use, go for the one that waterproofs the wood and protects mildew and mold growth.
Keep an eye out for the VOC levels to ensure the safety of the environment.
Type of Redwood
There are three types of redwood, namely;
Giant Redwood is tall, with a ruffled trunk, red and porous bark, and scale leaves on sticking shoots and tiny cones. Though it is closely linked to the Coast Redwood, it differs because it has just one leaf type.
Coast Redwood– It is the world’s tallest tree species. Its normal height ranges from 280 to 325 feet but could be as high as 360 feet. Their trunks range in size from eight to fifteen feet in diameter.
Dawn Redwood is a coniferous conifer with small, round cones ranging in size from 1/2″ to 1″. In its youth, it has a neat pyramidal shape that matures into a rounded crown. In the fall, the bright green, fluffy leaves turn reddish-brown.
Consider the Main Ingredient or types of Redwood Finishes.
Wood sealer configuration is crucial. It is responsible for longevity and resistance to Mother Nature. A sealer with a 100 percent acrylic formula, for example, protects the wood from rain, snow, and Uv damage.
Other types of stains, such as oil based and water-based stains, exist. Water-based stains are durable, eco-friendly, and easier to clean up.
Water-based stains take longer to dry but are durable.
Opacity refers to the amount of wood grain you want to see after your deck has been stained, which is determined by transparency.
A stain can either be Transparent, semi-transparent stain, solid, or semi-solid
Use clear, semi-transparent, or transparent stains on newer wood to allow some grain to show through. For decks that have seen a lot of grilling, semi-solid colors are preferable because they completely cover the wood with its imperfections.
Semi-solid stains are similar to semi-transparent stains in appearance, but they have a deeper color and reveal less of the natural wood grain. They offer more protection and can be darkened in almost any color. It can be a challenge to differentiate solid stains from paint.
Ease of Use
Go for a sealer you can efficiently work with and apply on different surfaces. Consider the application method and buy the one that can work with affordable application tools such as a paintbrush or an easy-to-use sprayer.
Also, buy the work you can use regardless of the prevailing weather conditions to avoid rescheduling your paint job due to weather changes.
Opt for one that’s compatible with multiple stains to cut down on expenditure. Go for a ready-to-use formula to escape thinning stress.
Health Hazard/ Safety Precautions
Opt for a sealer with low Voc levels to ensure the safety of pets, kids, and the environment. Note. As a sealer dries and its solvents melt away, it emits volatile organic compounds (VOCs), leading to air pollution and harmful to your health.
That’s why you should wear protective clothing such as gloves and goggles to protect yourself. Before buying a sealer, ensure it is EPA approved.
Application Method and Procedure
Buy a sealer you can easily apply using a brush, paint sprayer, or brush. Always work in a well-ventilated environment and follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions.
For a professional finish, use a sanding sealer before applying the finish. It helps to fill the pores in the wood and penetrates the wood to form a barrier that protects the final finish from darkening the natural wood color.
Mix one part of the lacquer thinner with one part of the sanding sealer. Sand your project with 400 grit or higher.
Wipe off the surface with a lint-free cloth to remove dust before applying the sanding sealer. Brush a generous amount of sealer on the project.
Wipe off excess sealer and allow it to sit for a while. Using 0000 steel wool, sand away the sealer until none of it is visible. Apply your preferred finish and get a long-lasting pro look.
Types of Sealer for Redwood
When it comes to sealing a redwood deck, there are numerous options available. An oil-based or alkyd-based colored penetrating sealer is one of the best options for a new redwood deck.
Most penetrating sealers guard the wood better than some film finishes such as paint. This is so because they wear out naturally rather than cracking. Nonetheless, it comes down to your unique project and preference.
You can opt for latex, water-based, or acrylic sealer for your project and still get a professional look. Just buy a sealer that fits your budget and is suitable for you.
Do I Need to Seal Redwood?
Yes. You have to seal your redwood to enhance its durability and keep its fantastic color.
You can keep your redwood from cracking and rotting with appropriate staining and care, particularly if it is exposed to water.
Here are more Benefits of using sealer and deck stain for redwood.
- Sealers and deck stains keep mold and mildew at bay.
- Deck stains enhances the wood’s surface appearance
- Sealing and staining redwood helps to keep mold and mildew at bay.
- Also, protect it from snow, rain, water, and excessive UV rays.
- Overall, staining and sealing redwood decks makes them more durable.
Why is Sealing New Redwood Deck Better than Painting?
Most people prefer sealing redwood to staining for a good reason.
The wood’s beauty, such as cedar and redwood, lies in its natural looks. Most people prefer staining overpainting as the stain will let the natural grain shine through. Paint, on the other hand, will hide the wood’s natural grain.
Stain is available in various colors and tints. You can customize the colors to get the one you like most, and you can opt for a colorless stain to enhance the wood’s natural aesthetics.
Contrary to paint, a high-quality stain with sealer will deeply penetrate and seal the wood grain, enabling moisture to escape hence prolonging the life of the wood.
Additionally, painting coats the surface of the wood, whereas stain penetrates the wood.
Paint covers and hides the natural beauty of wood. Stain safeguards and preserves it.
The stain progressively wears away, necessitating re-coating regularly. So you do not have to work for hours on end trying to get it off the surface. Paint peeling requires a lot of scraping to remove it hence time-consuming.
Paint is not durable in high traffic areas as it’ll crack and peel off, ruining the looks and exposing the wood to the elements. On the other hand, a sealant is less expensive, easier to apply, and lasts longer before requiring maintenance.
The Best Time To Seal the Redwood Deck
If you want to seal freshly installed redwood, wait for three or four weeks to give the wood time to adjust to the surroundings.
If you seal it before the stipulated time, you’ll trap the moisture inside, and it’ll give you problems in the future. Use penetrating redwood sealants to protect the wood from unwanted moisture and other elements.
Clean the wood exhaustively before putting on the sealer for excellent results. If you want your wood to keep its natural color, use oxalic acid to clean it before sealing it.
How to Seal Redwood
Before sealing your new redwood deck, understand that high-quality products with mildewcide, water repellent, and UV rays protection properties are the best for waterproofing wood. Keenly follow the manufacturer’s instructions on application and coverage.
Pro tip- Apply the sealer on a windless day. The temperature range should be between 50- 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush/ roller
- Knee pads
- Wood brightener
Clean the deck thoroughly. If it gets wet, wait for it to dry completely.
Step 1: Sand the Wood Surface
For new wood, sand down the wood surface (with a 120-220 grit sandpaper )to open the wood pores to prep it for sealer. Make sure to sand along the wood grain.
If you are refinishing an old deck, pressure washing, or using a deck stripper to get rid of the old finish is mandatory.
Step 2: Pick your Wood Sealant
Note- penetrating oil-based finishes formulated for the outdoor deck are suitable if you are looking for a natural finish. For a more uniform finish, opt for a semi transparent stain.
Step 3: Apply the Wood sealer
Use a 4” natural bristle brush put on the wood sealer. Seal one board at a time in full length to avoid overruns. Give it forty-eight.
What is the best stain for redwood?
Use a redwood-specific deck stain. I recommend semi-transparent penetrating deck stains because they amplify the natural beauty of the redwood while also preventing weathering. When staining your redwood, only use as much wood stain as the wood can withstand.
What should I seal my redwood fence with?
Use a high-quality oil-based sealant with water repellent, UV protection, and mildewicide for superb results. Use a high-quality paintbrush or a roller to put on the sealant.
Can you use linseed oil on Redwood?
Linseed oil is not recommended for exterior redwood because it promotes mildew growth. Instead, use high-quality oil-based semi-transparent if you are looking for a more traditional appearance on your exterior redwood.
Does the redwood fence need to be sealed?
Yes. redwood fences will remain sturdy for several years if you care for them properly. Apply a waterproofing sealer to the redwood fence after three to six years to prevent splintering, cracking, and warping caused by the elements.
Also See: Best sealer for cedar wood deck
Does the redwood deck need to be sealed?
Yes. If your redwood deck receives a lot of sunlight, you should clean and reseal it every year. You can get away with doing it every three years if it’s mostly shaded and it hasn’t developed mildew yet. Sealers protects wood from harmful elements such as moisture and insect infestation.
What is the best exterior finish for redwood?
There are no complex fast rules. It depends on your project and your preferences. However, the rule of thumb is to go for high-quality finishes with superb UV protection, mildewcide, and water repellent, as they will give you professional results.
What are the best redwood preservatives?
Generally, stains and sealers are the best redwood preservatives. Nowadays, most modern-day formulas double up as two-in-one, which means that you seal and stain the wood using one product, saving you time and money and fortifying the wood against the elements. Stains permeate the wood to offer phenomenal waterproofing benefits, whereas sealers work from the surface.
Related: Pressure treated wood deck sealer
Can you use danish oil on redwood
Our recommended finish for redwood mantels and shelves is Danish Oil. Our tung oil/varnish blend gives mantels a light satin sheen that emphasizes the natural hues and characteristics of the wood. Unlike wood stain, danish oil is also easy to maintain and reapply.
What is the Best Sealer for Redwood
Using wood sealers on redwood has many advantages over some finishing options, such as paint. The best finish for redwood deck and fence improves the natural beauty of your wood rather than changing its original appearance.
Our Overall best Redwood sealer for deck and fence is Ready Seal 520 Exterior Stain and Sealer for Wood, 5-Gallon. It’s easy to apply, completely safeguards the wood from elements, and you can use it on multiple surfaces.
It’s also less expensive and much easier to use and prolongs the life of the wood.