There are two reasons people look into epoxy resin for wooden tables, countertops, and bar tops: they love art, or they’re looking to make a lot of money!
Whatever your reason is, you have come to the right place. If you have spent the past ten hours binge-watching videos on YouTube, then you know by now that not all epoxies are equal.
Luckily, here at Woodworking Clarity, we have scoured the net for the best epoxy for wood. We considered all the important criteria, from the ease of application to safety, drying time to wood type, and even the quality of the finish.
Best Epoxy for Wood
- Best for Small Projects and Artwork – ArtResin Epoxy Resin
- Best Epoxy Resin for River Table – Superclear Epoxy Resin
- Best for Kitchen Countertops – Stone Coat Epoxy Kit
- Overall Best Resin for Wood – Pro-Marine Clear Table Top Epoxy Resin
- Best Epoxy for Table Tops – Epox-It 80 Clear Epoxy Resin for Wood
- Best best casting resin for wood – Epoxy Resin 1 Gallon Kit
- Best Epoxy for Wood Table – Crystal Clear Epoxy Resin One Gallon Kit
- Best for Indoor Bars and Stools – RTG Bar & Table Top Epoxy
- Best Clear Epoxy for Wood – TotalBoat Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear
- Best Woodworking Epoxy for Artistic Expression – Art ‘N Glow Epoxy Resin
- Best for DIY Resin Art – SigWong Epoxy Resin
- Best Eco-friendly Epoxy resin– Incredible Solutions 2 Gallon Table Top & Bar
- Best self-Leveling epoxy resin– Zdspoxy Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear
Best Epoxy Resin for Wood (Updated Reviews)
When finding the best epoxy resin for woodworking, we also researched real customer reviews to ensure the epoxies we recommend are well-loved.
1. Best for Small Projects and Artwork – ArtResin Epoxy Resin
- Non-toxic when used as directed. (1 gal kit = 0.5 gal resin + 0.5 gal hardener)
- No VOCs. No BPA. No fumes. Non-flammable. Food safe.
- UV and HALS stabilized for unparalleled yellowing protection
With a name like ArtResin, you can already guess that this epoxy resin was not made for wood. However, it can be used on wood and delivers exceptional results, hence why it’s on our list.
This is one of the easiest woodworking resin to use, as the mixing formula is just 1 to 1, and it comes with the hardener. Even though it is specifically made for art, this epoxy resin is food safe, so you can use it to finish kitchen table tops, dining tables, chopping boards and other food preparation surfaces for adults and children alike.
One thing you need to look for in quality epoxy resin products is eco-friendliness, and this has it in spades. This ArtResin epoxy has no VOCs and no fumes, so it can be applied safely indoors, but of course, ensure the place is well ventilated. It also has no bisphenol A (BPA).
As long as you use this wood epoxy resin as intended, the manufacturer says it is non-toxic. It is also non-flammable and yields a gorgeous high-gloss finish.
Another feature we like is that it is UV and HALS stabilized, so you don’t have to worry about it yellowing any time soon or the wood changing color over time from exposure to sunlight.
Two features we don’t like are this product has a small coverage area of just 32 sq. ft. and a long curing time of 72 hours. However, it is self-leveling, so you don’t have to monitor it while it cures.
- It is UV and HALS stabilized
- Dries crystal clear
- No VOCs and no fumes
- Food safe
- It is non-toxic
- Small coverage area
- It takes 72 hours to cure
2. Best Epoxy Resin for River Table – Superclear Epoxy Resin
- Durable & Long-Lasting Finish: Superclear tabletop epoxy resin is a premium, easy-to-use, 1:1, ultra-clear gloss epoxy ensuring your tabletop, bar top, and countertop surfaces remain glossy and protected for years to come.
- Ideal for River Tables, Live Edge Tables, Bar Tops, and Countertops: Perfect for various surfaces including wood, DIY river tables, epoxy live edge tables, epoxy inlay in wood, epoxy resin tabletop repairs, epoxy resin wood art, and much more. Superclear epoxy is VOC & BPA free as well as food safe compliant (USFDA 21 CFR 175.300 ASTM D-4236), making it ideal for food prep areas.
- Seamless Integration with Pigments & Dyes: Specially formulated to blend effortlessly with a variety of pigments, mica powders, and dyes, allowing you to achieve customized colors and effects on your surfaces.
If you are looking to make a river table, then this is the best best river table epoxy in the market.
The Super Clear epoxy was created specifically for live-edge tables, countertops, bar tops, and the aforementioned river tables. As a result, it is very durable and perfect for any other practical or artistic wooden project.
What makes this a fantastic art resin (arguably even perfect) is that it can be used with a wide range of dyes and colors, including pigment powder, mica powder, alcohol ink, resin dyes, and resin tints.
Besides wood, you can also use this woodworking epoxy resin on cement, canvas, ceramic, laminate, and granite.
On any surface, it is self-leveling, so you don’t have to worry about smoothing out the mixture during or after application. Once it cures, the Super Clear Table Top Epoxy is food safe.
What really sets this apart is that it has remarkably high UV resistance, so it won’t yellow over time as quickly as other epoxy resin brands.
This wood resin comes with the resin and hardener, which are to be mix in a 1:1 ratio. When working on larger products, be aware that it will heat up a bit during mixing and cure quicker.
The end product is very high gloss, and it is scratch and water-resistant.
- It can be used on a wide range of materials
- It dries ultra-crystal-clear
- The best epoxy for river table
- Water-resistant and scratch-resistant
- It works with a lot of pigments and dyes
- Not ideal for large projects
- It takes 7 days to cure fully
3. Best Epoxy for Kitchen Countertops – Stone Coat Epoxy Kit
Every DIYer and contractor hopes for an easy-to-use product, and that’s what Stone Coat delivers. Their countertop epoxy kit not only comes with a hardener but also has Rustoleum spray paint, so you can start creating magic in no time.
You can use this to restore old countertops quickly, and the entire process can be completed in under 48 hours. In addition, these wood epoxy countertops can be safely applied indoors because it has zero VOCs. As a result, children and pets can be in the home while you apply it.
When the Stone Coat epoxy fully cures, it is non-toxic, making it perfect for a wide range of projects. It is also food-safe, which is not surprising as this is primarily made for countertops. It’s no surprise that it’s the best countertop epoxy. However, you can also use this epoxy resin for wood countertops on river tables, wood slabs, geodes, coffee tables, and other wooden and stone projects.
For woodworkers looking for an artistic flair, this product is compatible with metallic powder, mica powder, glitter powder, and alumidite liquid dye.
This woodworking resin has a long drying time of 72 hours before light use. It needs about 5 to 7 days to cure fully. After 30 days, it will be fully UV and heat resistant.
One thing to be cautious of is you only have 45 minutes before the mixture begins to harden, so you have to move quickly when working on large jobs.
- Easy to apply
- Best for wood epoxy countertops
- UV and heat resistant
- It can be mixed with different pigments and dyes
- It is eco-friendly
- The mixture sets quickly
- Long drying time
4. Overall Best Epoxy Resin for Wood – Pro-Marine Clear Table Top Epoxy Resin
- 1:1 Mixing Ratio for Easy Application: Our epoxy resin offers a simple 1:1 mixing ratio, making it ideal for both newcomers and experienced DIY enthusiasts. Achieve precise and hassle-free results with our user-friendly epoxy resin kit, an essential addition to your art supplies.
- Water-Resistant and Impact-Proof: Shield your art and home décor creations from moisture damage using our water-resistant epoxy resin. Crafted to endure daily use, it ensures long-lasting protection and preserves the impeccable condition of your projects.
- Self-Leveling Brilliance: Banish the annoyance of uneven pours with our self-leveling epoxy resin. Whether you're working on bar tables, crafts, or other surfaces, our resin's seamless self-leveling capability guarantees a sleek and professional high-gloss finish.
This is one of the most popular epoxy resins on the market and what many consider the best. Pro Marine has a great reputation for high-quality products that stand the test of time.
As you’d expect from the name, the Table Top Epoxy Resin was designed for tabletops, wooden countertops, bars, household furniture, and wood finishes. It can also be used for river tables, surfboards, art installation pieces, and whatever else you can imagine.
This is another easy-to-use epoxy for tabletop, with a 1:1 mixing ratio of resin and hardener. It is also self-leveling, so you won’t get a lot of bubbles, and it dries smooth.
The high gloss finish is UV-resistant, making it great for indoor and outdoor use. Even though it will yellow eventually as all epoxy resins do, the unique formula means you don’t have to worry about that for years.
Pro Marine clear epoxy is water and scratch-resistant, and it dries hard. In addition, the product is specially formulated to prevent fish eyes, craters, and other common problems with epoxy.
Besides wood, you can also use the Table Top Epoxy Resin on laminate, concrete, granite, porcelain, tile, marble, pennies, stainless steel, copper, and many other products.
- Scratch and water-resistant
- Works great on wood and many other surfaces
- It dries crystal clear and is UV-resistant
- It takes 72 hours to cure
- Short worktime of only 35 minutes
5. Best Epoxy for Table Tops – Epox-It 80 Clear Epoxy Resin for Wood
- NEW AND IMPROVED CLEAR RESIN: Epox-It 80 is now formulated with superior properties that outperform the competition in clarity, air release, UV resistance, shelf life, and heat resistance.
- FOR ARTISTIC AND FUNCTIONAL PROJECTS: You can use our resin epoxy for tumblers, fiberglass laminating, and encapsulation. It’s also great for casting resin art pieces like jewelry, figurines, and prototypes.
- SELF-LEVELING RESIN: Our epoxy resin kit self-levels as it goes onto surfaces, ensuring that bar tops, tabletops, and countertops get a uniform coating every time.
Next, we have another epoxy resin made for wooden table tops and bar tops. The Epox-It 80 yields a crystal-clear finish that makes it perfect for all routine installations, such as in bars, kitchens, and restaurants. However, it can also be used for river tables, jewelry, and artistic pieces.
Just like every other product mentioned so far, this is made in the USA with fresh resin. The special formula used for this clear epoxy for wood makes it blush-resistant, water-resistant, and UV-resistant.
One unique feature is that it is also impact-resistant, which comes in handy in bars and other places with a lot of activity. No wonder it’s the best table top epoxy.
This eco-friendly clear epoxy for wood is virtually odorless, and once it has fully cured, it is food-safe. As you would expect from a contender for the best epoxy for wood, the Epox-It 80 is self-leveling. It also does a great job of minimizing the air bubbles that are released during application.
This product is sold with a hardener, which should be mixed in a 1:1 ratio. It has a decent working time of 45 minutes, which will give you a bit of time when working on larger projects.
Even though this product is professional-grade, it can easily be used by DIYers using epoxy for the first time. It is best suited for wood and fiberglass.
- Easy to use
- The best resin for table tops
- Odorless and food safe
- Blush and impact-resistant
- Water and UV-resistant
- A few complaints about customer service
- Limited range of materials it can work with
6. Best Casting Resin for Wood for New Users – Epoxy Resin 1 Gallon Kit
- FLAWLESS CRYSTAL CLEAR COATING - Achieve crystal clear, flawlessly transparent epoxy coatings with our ultra high performance 1 gal. resin and hardener kit! This premium professional grade epoxy goes on smooth and dries evenly to eliminate crawling, trickling, craters and "fish eyes".
- CUSTOM DIY PROJECTS, ARTWORK, SURFACES - Create customized works of one-of-a-kind artisan craftsmanship. Perfect for DIY projects, countertops, bar tops, tabletops, river tables, jewelry, vehicle surface sealing, coffee tables, arts & crafts and nearly endless creative possibilities!
- UV, SCRATCH AND WATER-RESISTANT - We're committed to the highest quality engineering and production standards. Our dedicated research & development team has meticulously perfected the East Coast Resin epoxy formula for superior UV-resistance, scratch-resistance, and moisture-resistance when compared to other industry brands.
East Coast Resin is a company that takes a lot of pride in simple things. In this case, they take pride in making a highly durable product that anyone can use.
This super gloss product is perfect for tabletops, jewelry, artwork, bars, casting mold, and river tables. While it is primarily made for wooden objects, you can also use it on veneer, stone, metal, painted surfaces, and plastic.
While epoxy resin has a simple application process, minor mistakes can cause discoloration, fish eyes, and craters. To prevent this from happening, East Coast Resin has provided a very detailed instruction manual to ensure even novices get great results when using their product, and the thousands of positive reviews can attest to that.
When the instructions are followed properly, the epoxy resin yields a tough finish. However, you can choose to make the finish slightly softer, depending on what you are using it for, by using less hardener.
Once it has fully cured, this wood epoxy resin is water-resistant, UV-resistant, and very durable. It is also one of the preferred epoxy resins for thick pours.
The major drawback with this product is that 1 gallon only covers 25 sq. ft, with a layer thickness of 1.5-2mm. It also has a short working time of 30 to 35 minutes.
- Novices can easily apply it
- It is water and UV-resistant
- It can be used on a wide range of materials
- It comes with a detailed manual
- Small coverage area
- Very short working time
7. Best Epoxy for Wood Table – Crystal Clear Epoxy Resin One Gallon Kit
- CRYSTAL CLEAR SHINE: Our Table Top Pro Epoxy resin kit cures to a high gloss shine. Get a stunning, glass-like finish on your tabletops and make weathered old surfaces look new again.
- EASY APPLICATION: Our 2-part resin epoxy kit uses a simple 1:1 mixing ratio by volume so you can easily measure the right amounts every time. It’s also self-leveling for a consistently even finish.
- PROTECTS AGAINST DAMAGE: Keep your counters and hard surfaces looking new by protecting them with a hard, clear coat. Our clear resin resists scuffing and scratching from normal wear and tear.
MAS Epoxies takes the term ready-to-use epoxies to a new level by providing some of the tools you’ll need to apply the finish. Their one-gallon kit comes with not only the resin and hardener but also a spreader and a brush.
Besides coming in a convenient package, this is a professional-grade product that amateurs and seasoned pros alike can use. This beautiful, ultra-clear epoxy resin is very durable, high-gloss, and self-leveling.
This has been packaged with novices in mind, as it comes with a detailed instruction manual and video. So whether you are working on a kitchen countertop, bar, river table, resin art, or any other project, you will be confident that it will come out great.
While many manufacturers claim to have good customer service, MAS Epoxies actually does. They have a friendly team you can contact if there are any problems and in more than one instance have replaced a product that didn’t look right.
For the DIY enthusiast on your list, I recommend this Kit as a woodworking wedding present!
Even though this is one of the best epoxy kits for wood, it is ideal for smaller projects. For larger installations, get their deep pour epoxy instead, which has a long application window.
- Easy to use for amateurs and professionals alike
- The best epoxy resin kit for wood
- It comes with additional utensils
- Outstanding customer service
- Very durable and hardens quickly
- It is not very heat resistant
- Not suitable for large projects
8. Best for Indoor Bars and Stools – RTG Bar & Table Top Epoxy
- 2-part, waterproof, ultra-clear epoxy resin coating for bar tops, countertops, and table tops.
- Self-leveling formula cures to a tough, smooth, high-gloss finish that prevents scratches. Color-stable formula resists yellowing.
- Versatile epoxy resin coating can be used for a wide variety of applications. Customize your bar or table top by embedding objects beneath the crystal clear surface, such as photographs, sea shells, coins, or glitter. For an eye-catching 3-D effect, pour multiple thin layers, embedding objects in each layer.
One key feature you need for an epoxy table to be used in bars is water-resistant, and that is the first thing the manufacturer highlights. The RTG Bar & Table Top Epoxy is a crystal clear finish that is high gloss, durable and dries to a smooth finish.
It offers excellent UV and heat resistance. However, RTG emphasizes that this product should only be used indoors, as excessive exposure to sunlight will cause the finish to yellow. Also, you should not place items hotter than 125°F on it, making it perfect for bars, toilets and coffee tables.
Clearly, RTG isn’t trying to make a suitable product for all purposes but rather focuses on its niche, which it nails perfectly. When fully cured, this epoxy resin is scratch, blush, stain, and impact-resistant, which is rare for epoxies.
One thing we like about this is the versatility. It can be applied to wood, glass, ceramic, concrete and stone. As a result, you can apply this finish over different objects like seashells, coins, rocks, and even photographs to make your bar come to life.
The kit comes with the resin and a hardener. You can also add any colorants meant for epoxy resin.
- Scratch, stain and impact-resistant
- It can be used over different materials
- Hard cure in just 24 hours
- It is not suitable for outdoor use
- Cannot handle excessive heat
9. Best Clear Epoxy for Wood – TotalBoat Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear
- CLEAR EPOXY RESIN for a high gloss finish on bar tops, table tops & countertops; add pigments, tints or encapsulations to make your piece truly unique; versatile craft resin is also great for coating tumblers and casting coasters & jewelry
- EPOXY RESISTS SCRATCHES, STAINS AND YELLOWING: Self-leveling formula cures to a finish as smooth as glass; use this versatile DIY resin on wood, concrete, ceramic, stainless steel and more; 100% waterproof upon cure
- 2 PART EPOXY IS EASY TO USE: Just mix 1 part resin to 1 part hardener, stir thoroughly, and pour on your prepared surface; the epoxy will level on its own and cure at room temperature; maximum pour depth per layer is 1/8" - 1/4"
When carrying out a remodeling job, you need an epoxy resin that can fit easily on nearly any material you throw it on. This is one area the TotalBoat epoxy excels.
While this product has been made for wood, it can be used on metal, stone, ceramic and concrete without yellowing. It also has no VOCs and is BPA-free, so you can use it in a house with kids and pets.
This two-part pourable epoxy comes with the resin and hardener, which are to be mixed in a 1:1 ratio. Given the ease of application, first-time users, as well as experienced hands, can work with this and get outstanding results.
The epoxy dries crystal clear, does not blush, is high-gloss and self-leveling. These features make this clear epoxy for wood perfect for kitchen and bathroom remodels. It can be used for tabletops, countertops, river tables, resin art, casting and anything else you can imagine.
You can also easily add color using mica powder, alcohol ink or liquid pigments.
When the epoxy resin fully cures, it is 100% waterproof, emphasizing why it is great for kitchens and bathrooms.
- No VOCs and BPA-free
- Versatile application on diverse materials
- It is 100% waterproof
- Scratch-resistant and does not blush
- Small coverage area
- It offers limited UV-resistance
10. Best Woodworking Epoxy for Artistic Expression – Art ‘N Glow Epoxy Resin
- DEPENDABLE QUALITY: Art ‘N Glow’s clear epoxy resin kit is designed to work with our glow in the dark and other craft pigments and inclusions to ensure exceptional results. Easy one to one mix ratio by volume with forgiving 40 minute work time is great for beginners and professionals alike. Stringent quality control at our US manufacturing facility and improved inventory management ensure you get a crystal clear, consistently performing resin every time.
- FORMULATION PERFECTED: All resin is not created equally. Our epoxy includes expensive additives such as UV stabilizers and HALS to prevent yellowing as well as proprietary bubble release technology to ensure your finished casting or coating are bubble free and clear as glass. Each 1 Gallon kit includes 64 ounces of resin and 64 ounces of hardener to total 1 gallon. Easy to follow instructions included.
- SAFE AND DURABLE: Looking for a fun DIY home improvement or art project? Our resin hardens to 80+ Shore D, is food safe, self leveling, low odor, and VOC free. This makes it perfect for use as a table top epoxy, epoxy for tumblers, or to create beautiful serving trays. These characteristics also make it great for woodworking and wood stabilization, furniture, and mixed media.
Finally, we come to a product made for artists in mind. The aptly named Art ‘N Glow is another crystal-clear epoxy resin that delivers on its name and function. It dries very hard, is easy to apply and can be applied on a wide range of surfaces and products.
Even though this is meant for wood, it can also be used on paper, canvas, stone, ceramic, rocks, concrete and granite. It can be used to coat tabletops, countertops, bar stools, resin paintings, and jewelry. It can even be used to create figurines, as well as other practical or artistic creations you can fathom.
Another reason artists love this is that it can be used for glowing pieces and produces a glass-like appearance that is extremely durable. This epoxy resin is non-toxic (BPA and VOC free), so younger artists can use it with supervision, of course.
Art ‘N Glow has a simple 1:1 mixing ratio and comes with the resin and hardener. It does not have a strong odor and it resists yellowing, although it should not be left outdoors.
Change the color of the epoxy resin using pearl powder, resin tint, and alcohol tint. The pearl powder provided by the manufacturer has 19 different colors, so you’ll be sure to find the perfect blend with which to express your artistic desires.
You also get a generous 40-minute working window, giving you enough time to flex your creative muscles.
- It can be used on different surfaces
- It can be used with glow in the dark colors
- Long working time
- Mixing powders may settle at the bottom
- Not suitable for large projects
11. Best for DIY Resin Art – SigWong Epoxy Resin
- SigWong Art Resin Kit Includes - One 260ml(8.8oz) bottle of resin and one 260ml(8.8oz) bottle of hardener, 6 bottles Epoxy Resin Pigment, 3 x graduated cup, 4 x wooden sticks, 2 pairs of gloves, 3 x gold foil flakes, 1 x tweezers, and comes with a detailed instruction manual, which is very suitable for professional artists or beginners.
- Crystal Clear - Self leveling and high gloss resistant formula, cures crystal clear and hard as a rock, anti-scratch and anti-yellowing function can make your artwork and DIY projects better protected.
- Easy to Use - 1:1 ratio by volume, 40 minutes work time. With eliminating craters, crawling and fish eyes, which could easily get a perfectly transparent finish.
Becoming a master of epoxy resin is a skill that pays tremendous dividends. However, you will need time and experimentation to get to that level, and that’s precisely what this kit is meant for.
The SigWong Epoxy Resin kit comes with the resin, hardener, graduated cops, stirring sticks, a dropper, and even a pair of gloves. The small pack is also all you need to get started with your DIY wood crafts.
Recommended Reading: Best type of paint for wood crafts.
Even though this is novice-friendly, it is professional-grade and has exceptional features.
For starters, this is a self-leveling, high-gloss finish that yields a mirror-like effect on river tables, frames and artworks. The formula is anti-yellowing, scratch-resistant and rock-solid. This finish is also designed to prevent catering, fish eyes and crawling.
As you would expect, the mixing ratio is 1:1, and thanks to the graduated cups provided, you’re unlikely to get this wrong. To make it even easier to use, SigWong has included a detailed manual.
This is a stellar finish that can be used for creative exercises like casting and jewelry making but can also be used as a clear coat. If you want to change the color, it is compatible with epoxy resin dyes, glow in the dark, mica, and alcohol ink.
You also get a generous work time of 40 minutes.
While most people are happy with this wood epoxy resin, there are a few reports of the epoxy not curing and the graduated cups being unreliable.
- It comes with different application tools
- No VOCs or BPA
- Anti-yellowing and scratch-resistant
- User friendly
- A few reports of the tools being unreliable
- The resin and hardener are not the same quantity
12. Best Eco-friendly Epoxy resin– Incredible Solutions 2 Gallon Table Top & Bar
- 💎 The Ultimate CRYSTAL CLEAR EPOXY – Our Table Top Epoxy cures ultra clear making it perfect for table tops, bar tops, and countertops. The custom Epoxy formulation allows for minimal bubbles, goes on smooth, helps eliminate fish eyes, craters and various other imperfections. We only offer what we use. Plus, unlike many other epoxies, our epoxy resists yellowing caused from exposure to Ultra Violet Light Sources.
- 🎨 HIGH GLOSS & SELF LEVELS - Epoxy resin is durable, blemish resistant, has a consistent thickness, cures quick, is water and impact resistant. Not only that, our Bar Top Epoxy self levels on application including corners, over bar rails and live edges.
- 🌎 USA FACTORY- We proudly manufacture here so you can rest assured our Epoxy when used and cured correctly it is safe with Low odor. Mixes Well with Mica Pigment Powders & Cures Crystal Clear.
This is a professional-grade epoxy for wood with a high gloss formula that is perfect for table tops, countertops, and bar tops. Besides its ultra-clear formula, the application goes on smoothly and forms minimal bubbles.
Use it to eliminate craters and fisheyes, among other flaws, on your wood surface.
Besides making wood stunning and resistant, applying this product will prevent the yellowing of your exterior even after extended exposure to light and UV rays.
Incredible Solutions is a durable epoxy resin with a consistent blemish-resistant thickness. Moreover, it cures within no time, protecting the surfaces from damage from impacts and water. The formula also self-levels on applications such as live edges, over bar rails, and corners.
This low-order product is proudly manufactured in the USA without any considerable side effects. Besides curing to a crystal-clear finish, it tops other epoxy resins since it mixes well with Mica Pigment powders.
A 1:1 gallon mixture of the resin and a curing agent levels at 1/8 inches thick and covers up to 24 square feet. With this thickness, you are guaranteed unmatched durability and extra protection for your wooden surface.
The formula dries rock hard within 48 hours, leaving a tough, versatile, water-resistant coating. Similarly, it features an easy application process regardless of your experience or skill level.
For beginners, you’ll have enough time to apply it carefully since you can use an additional brush and spreader to simplify the process.
- It is UV resistant
- Dries crystal clear
- No Volatile Organic Compounds
- It is odourless
- Takes 48 hours to cure fully
- Small coverage area
13. Best self-Leveling epoxy resin- Zdspoxy Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear
- 💎[Safety and environmental protection]: Zdspoxy Epoxy resin is made of high quality raw materials from Germany, safe and non-toxic, Zdspoxy Epoxy resin is safe for making products that come into contact with food. ultra-low odor, no smoke, no VOC, stable performance. The company has passed ISO9001:2000 quality management system certification, all products of the company have passed SGS, RoHS environmental testing report.
- 💎[Strong performance]: We have developed special formulations to make bubbles less, and maintain excellent clarity and gloss, high hardness, excellent UV resistance and self-leveling performance,and excellent Adhesion, good permeability and sealing ability to porous substrates, and casting, coating properties beyond ordinary resins.
- 💎[A variety of applications]: ZDSpoxy epoxy resin is suitable for a variety of projects, such as: table, countertop, Tumbler, floor, jewelry, crafts Items and other items on the surface.
Zdspoxy is a terrific product that promises total and adequate coverage when applied correctly. With its self-leveling ability, this epoxy resin delivers a unique and smooth finish on wood surfaces.
This epoxy resin emphasizes quality and utilizes superior raw materials from Germany. It is a low-odor, no smoke, no VOC, and stable performance finish that delivers a high gloss finish.
Since it consists of only food-safe and non-toxic materials, you don’t have to shy away from using this product on surfaces that come in contact with food.
In addition to resisting blemishes, you can rely on this durable option to resist water, yellowing, stains, heat, scratches, and UV rays.This special formula forms fewer bubbles and maintains exceptional clarity, excellent adhesion, good permeability, and high hardness.
Moreover, with its unique coating/ casting properties, you can use it to seal porous substrates.
Compared to your average resin, Zdspoxy is suitable for various projects, including jewelry, tables, and other craft projects.
Use a 1:1 ratio (epoxy + curing agent) to reduce the operating error rate. Under normal conditions, spare a curing time of 18-24h until it delivers a 1/8 inch thickness. Since this is an oil-based resin, avoid mixing it with water-based materials.
- 100% return policy if the results don’t meet your expectation
- UV and heat resistant
- Takes 24hrs to cure
- Not ideal for large projects
- Small coverage
Comparison table of the best epoxy for wood
How to Choose the Best Epoxy for Woodworking – Countertops and River Tables
With 11 options on our list alone to choose from, narrowing down the best epoxy for woodworking can be a challenge. To help you find the best one, here are the most important factors to consider.
The purpose of an epoxy resin is to give a beautiful glow, so this is the best place to begin. Gloss refers to the brightness of the finish, or to put another way, how well it dances in the light. So the glossier the finish, the prettier the table will be.
You would have noticed from the manufacturers’ bios how they brag about the gloss. Some call it high-class, while others say super high gloss or some other iteration. They are basically trying to catch your attention.
Terms to look for are high-gloss and crystal clear, either of which would look great. Of course, how well you finish the table will impact how much of the gloss shines through, but the glossier it is, the less skill you need to make it shine.
Epoxy resin is a thick chemical that is impossible to mold once it hardens. Therefore, you must get it as level as possible during the application process.
As a result, you should only use a self-leveling finish. That way, you don’t have to worry about trying to flatten the resin as it dries.
If it doesn’t level, it also means you have to monitor the resin constantly while it dries. Luckily, all of the options on our list are self-leveling. Unfortunately, however, they don’t all level at the same depth.
Any epoxy resin that levels at 1/8 inches is pretty good. Super Clear can go as deep as ¼ inches per pour. If you are working on a huge project, you might want to use a deep pour epoxy, as these can level at 2 inches.
Scratch and impact-resistance
River tables have become very popular recently because of their timeless beauty. However, they are also meant to be functional – used as countertops, dining tables, or even kitchen islands.
If you can’t risk dropping keys, plates, or feeding bottles on the table, it is pretty much useless. That is why another factor you can’t compromise on when looking for epoxy wood countertops is scratch and impact resistance.
While all epoxy resins dry really hard, some are better than others at withstanding torture. Given the mirror-like finish of an epoxy table, scratch resistance is vital because even the slightest line will show through like a nose pimple.
If you see many reviews about a product showing scratches, stay away, even if it’s cheap.
Most wood finishes aren’t resistant to ultraviolet rays. That’s because these finishes are meant for interior use, and epoxy resin is no exception. When exposed to UV rays, epoxy changes color. The discoloration could be mild (slight ambering) or extreme (turns brown).
Seeing as manufacturers know that you might want to show off the full beauty of your river table in natural light, some of them make their products UV-resistant. If you’re making a small table that will occasionally go outdoors, this feature is a must.
That said, epoxy resin is still mainly for interior use, and you can’t find one that is perfectly UV-resistant. So, you need to ensure you don’t leave the table outdoors permanently even if you used the best epoxy resin for wood river table.
However, if you’re building a river table for your dining room or a countertop, then any UV-resistant option should suffice.
This is one feature that can be slightly annoying. As you know, there are two parts to epoxy resin: the resin and the hardener. These are usually sold in the same quantity, and you may have noticed that all of the products on our list come with a 1:1 mixing ratio.
This means to get your epoxy resin; you should mix the same ratio of resin to hardener. For some odd reason, this isn’t always the case. Some products have a mixing ratio of 100:60, or even more bizarre, 100:45.
In some of these instances, the manufacturer will pre-package each part to the correct quantity. Otherwise, you would need to do the calculations yourself.
Ensure you mix it as recommended by the manufacturer, whether by volume or by weight.
The beauty of river tables is the different colors you can mix to create the perfect blend. However, you should note that not all epoxy resins can be dyed.
If all you want is a crystal clear finish, then you can completely ignore this. Otherwise, you should not only consider if it can be dyed but also how.
From our list, you will see that Super Clear Epoxy Resin provides a range of coloring options from powder to ink, dyes, and tints. On the other hand, MAS doesn’t mention that color can be added, even though it can.
If coloring is a deal-breaker, then skim through the list to find the ones that tell you the dying options, so you don’t have to do more research to find out the best epoxy resin for countertops.
Ideally, you should look for a finish that can work with powder and liquid dyes. Some people prefer working with powder, while others choose the latter.
Household chemicals are beneficial but are also quite toxic. While this isn’t something we tend to prioritize when buying finishes, it should.
Epoxy resin is a skin irritant, so it should always be applied with gloves. Besides that, it can also cause breathing difficulties, whether you have an underlying respiratory condition or not. That is why you should also use a respirator during application and curing.
That is why you should use less toxic products, especially if you are doing this in an active home. ArtResin does exceptionally well in this regard. Beside being VOC-free, it also doesn’t contain bisphenol A (BPA).
If you have small kids in the house and you are worried about their exposure to BPA, then this is a great brand to get. Also, ensure that the epoxy resin is food safe if you use it as a table or countertop.
A common factor when buying wood finishes is price. However, when it comes to epoxy resin, this can be misleading for the simple fact that gallons of the same size don’t necessarily cover the same area.
At 1/8 inch thickness, you can get as little as 12 sq. ft per gallon, up to 32 sq. ft per gallon. So, even though one product can cover more than twice as much surface area, it probably won’t be twice as expensive.
Before you buy the epoxy resin, it would help to calculate the quantity you need. Watch the video below for a simple process.
Given how much time epoxy resin takes to dry, this could have been placed higher. However, a lot of the high-end products take roughly the same length of time.
Most products dry between 24 – 72 hours. However, you need to wait for 7 days before it cures fully. At this stage, you can remove the mold and plane the surface without fear of cracks developing.
Note: some epoxy resins boast a drying time of just 30 minutes and a full cure in 24 hours. However, these are typically for small projects like artworks and not river tables.
Finally, we have another essential feature, which could have been placed higher. Bubbling is a woodworker’s nightmare. They ruin the most beautiful projects and often seem unpreventable.
The problem with bubbles in epoxy is two-fold:
- The bubbles can form between the wood and the resin, which prevents a strong bond. Over time, the gap will get wider and compromise the integrity of the table.
- The bubbles are not pretty and make the job look tragic. Plus, it also compromises the strength of the epoxy resin.
That is why producers work hard to create finishes with anti-bubbling properties. So, why did I place such an important feature last?
Well, that’s because the bubbles still show. The brand you use might reduce the number of bubbles, but it won’t remove it entirely. What is more important is learning how to apply epoxy resin to minimize bubbling.
Related Read: Top 8 Best Wood for Epoxy Table
Common Problems When Using the Best Wood Epoxy
Every wood finish has its pros and cons, even those that seem close to perfect, like epoxy. While learning from experience teaches lessons that are impossible to forget, it’s always better (and cheaper) to learn from the mistakes of others.
Here are some of the things that can go wrong with epoxy resin and how to fix/prevent them especially when working with epoxy resin wood countertops.
Formation of bubbles
We continue from where we left off in the previous section. Every liquid has bubbles, but they usually rise to the surface. However, due to the thickness of epoxy, this isn’t always the case.
Just like with polyurethane and other wood finishes, bubbles tend to appear when the epoxy resin is applied hastily, or you don’t follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Interesting read: Can you put polyurethane over epoxy resin
As mentioned before, anti-bubbling features can reduce the presence of bubbles, but they certainly cannot eliminate it. For example, to minimize the chance of bubbles:
- Leave the epoxy to rest for about 10 to 15 minutes after mixing both parts.
- Use a heat gun on the bubbles that form in the bucket after mixing.
- Seal the edges of the wood.
- Pour it in slowly, and don’t allow it to splash around.
- Apply thin layers. Some products can only be poured up to a depth of 1/8 inch, while others can handle 2 inches or more.
If the bubbles appear after application, use a heat gun to burst them quickly. If the bubbles show up after the epoxy has dried, you can sand them or scrape them out before topping up with more epoxy.
When you mix and apply epoxy resin, it forms an exothermic reaction. What that means is that the finish gets hot. If it gets too hot, the epoxy will crack. That is why you have to monitor the temperature every few hours closely.
Pouring layers that are too thick can also cause the temperature to spike. One of the easiest ways to prevent cracking is to use a fan to cool it down.
If you are too late and it cracks, the solution will depend on how bad it is.
If the epoxy has split in two, you can either use an adhesive to keep it together or start all over. Otherwise, you can sand down or dig up the crack and fill it with new epoxy. This is not as straightforward as it sounds, and it is expensive, so try to prevent cracks as much as possible.
Have you noticed how manufacturers keep talking about how clear their products are? Well, that’s because they want you to ignore that wood with epoxy resin will amber over time. This happens due to UV exposure, even for UV-resistant products.
Another common form of discoloration is when the hardening agent turns red. Luckily, you can see this before you mix it. Obviously, you shouldn’t try to use it in this state, even if you will put dye in it.
Speaking of which, adding color is an excellent way to hide the ambering of the river table over time.
After all, it is one of the reasons some people choose to do so.
Sadly, there is no way to reverse discoloration from UV exposure. The best you can do is take good care of the table by keeping it away from sunlight as much as possible. It is also worth noting that the ambering can actually make the work look pretty in some instances, so it’s not altogether a bad thing.
Imperfections on the surface
It is amazing how much dust there is all around us. What is even more impressive is how skilled these particles are at locating freshly applied wood finish.
Given how long epoxy resin takes to dry, it is not surprising that dust and other particles can settle on the surface and make it look dirty.
To prevent this from happening, ensure you work in a clean environment and properly dispose of the dust from sanding.
To get rid of the imperfections, sand down the epoxy before applying another layer. Seeing as you would need to sand the surface anyway before pouring the next layer, this problem is usually not a concern unless your workspace is really dusty.
The epoxy doesn’t cure
Epoxy resin takes a long time to cure, but it is typically quite hard in 72 hours. If after seven days it still hasn’t cured, then you might have a severe problem on your hands.
There are several reasons why the finish won’t cure, with the most common ones being the temperature and improper mixing.
The ideal temperature range for applying epoxy resin is 75-85F. If it’s too hot, it can crack. If it’s too cold, it will take a long time to cure, or it might not cure at all.
You can solve this by increasing the temperature in the room using a space heater or an HVAC system. As you do so, keep an eye on the temperature of the epoxy too.
If the finish isn’t curing because you didn’t get the ratio right, you will need to start all over as this piece isn’t fit for use.
Wood Epoxy Resin FAQs
Is epoxy resin water-resistant?
Yes, epoxy resin is water-resistant. That is one of the reasons why it is prevalent for art and woodworking. In addition, epoxy resin dries very hard and is airtight, so it also won’t leak. As a matter of fact, epoxy resin is popular with boat makers because of its superior water resistance.
Can you put a second coat of epoxy?
Yes, you can apply another coat of epoxy. However, be sure to sand the surface down with a fine-grit sandpaper before applying the second coat. Fine-grit sandpaper will remove any imperfections and give you an even surface to apply the epoxy over. Learn more about putting epoxy over epoxy with our quick guide.
How do you keep epoxy resin from soaking into wood?
You need to seal the surface of the wood to prevent the epoxy resin from soaking into it. You can seal the edges of the wood using fast-drying epoxy. To seal the top of the wood when making river tables, use shellac.
How do you remove bubbles?
To remove the bubbles that form on the surface of the epoxy, use a heat gun. Be careful to pass the flames over quickly as you don’t want to overheat the finish, as this can cause it to crack. If the bubbles show after drying, scrape or sand the surface of the epoxy resin to expose the air pockets, then fill it with new epoxy.
How much epoxy should I pour at a time?
Most epoxies are self-leveling at 1/8 inch thickness, while deep pour epoxy can go up to 1.5 inches. Of course, you should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions. If you pour more than the recommended depth, the epoxy might overheat and may not level properly.
What is the best outdoor epoxy resin?
The best epoxy for outdoor use is Pros Marine Supplies Epoxy Resin. This epoxy resin has a high gloss, it is water-resistant, self-leveling, and is also UV-resistant. What’s more, Pro Marine is available in sufficient quantity, providing great coverage and it cures harder than most epoxy resins.
What is the best colored epoxy resin for wood?
Colour Master mica powder epoxy resin dye is the best colored epoxy resin for wood. It is a non-toxic, environmentally friendly product you can use to achieve a wide range of colors on wood. The pigment is made from natural mica and does not contain any heavy metals or other harmful toxins.
What is the best epoxy for wood slabs?
The best epoxy for wood slabs is a tabletop resin. It is an all-purpose, low viscosity epoxy resin system for coating wood slabs and concrete countertops, bar tops, and similar applications. Use tabletop epoxy to achieve an extremely flat and level slab over concrete and wood.
What is the best epoxy for wood turning?
Alumilite Clear is the best epoxy for wood turning. It’s a glossy, crystal clear resin that is convenient to use for a wide range of casting and turning projects. Besides, Alumilite Clear is a high-impact epoxy and has a thin viscosity, which makes it easy to mix and turn, drill, sand, and polish to a high gloss.
What is the best epoxy for wood inlay?
No specific epoxy is categorized as the best epoxy for wood inlays. Generally, any epoxy is best used as an inlay material in wood. The resin is durable and doesn’t react with moisture in the wood. Plus, if you sand it properly you can finish it with a variety of topcoats, wax, or mineral oils giving it a beautiful look.
List of epoxy resin brands
There are a variety of epoxy resins in the market, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Some of the list of epoxy resin brands include Skogfe, Bloombee, Colour master, Dr crafty and Amazing clear cast.
What is the best epoxy for filling voids in wood?
The best epoxy for filling voids in wood is Abraton woodEpox. It is the perfect wood filler for filling voids, as you can use it to fill all the cracks on wood surfaces. Use it to rebuild wood as it excels in restoring wood regardless of the cause of damage. What’s more, this epoxy filler for wood is lightweight and will bond with the existing wood for good. It will never crack, shrink, or chip.
Where to buy epoxy resin for wood?
One option is to purchase epoxy resin for wood from Amazon, Alibaba, or other online forums. Epoxy resin can be bought from a variety of places, but the best place to start is probably where you have a massive selection of the product. You can also purchase epoxy resin for wood from your local hardware stores or home improvement centre.
What is the Best Epoxy Resin for Wood?
With so many types of epoxy resin for wood to choose from, it is hard to narrow down the best epoxy for wood projects. That being said, the product that offers the perfect blend of versatility and durability is the Pro Marine.
It is easy to use, making it great for pros and amateurs alike. Even better, you can apply it to a wide range of surfaces. It is also food-safe, water, scratch, heat and UV-resistant.
All of these features are hard to beat, even though the Super Clear epoxy resin gave it a run for its money.
Let us know if you found this review helpful and which of these products you have tried and tested.